Category: Sports and Recreation > Training
Asked by: ted9294-ga
List Price: $2.00
09 Nov 2002 15:20 PST
Expires: 09 Dec 2002 15:20 PST
Question ID: 104290
Where can I find the moves required for the first cata of Karate - Yan-sho-dan?
Answered By: sgtcory-ga on 09 Nov 2002 15:35 PST
Hello Ted, I am fairly certain I found your kata. The resource even comes with an online video to view! I think what we need here is actually the "Heian Shodan", the kata that would be performed for advancement to your yellow belt. Here is the site with the videos(has them all): Heian Shodan Kata Video (and many more) http://jka.uchicago.edu/kata.html I also found a written explanation of how to perform the kata: http://www.geocities.com/tokyo/fuji/2890/heiansho.html If this video , by chance, is not the correct one - please ask for further clarification before rating this answer, as I would love to be of further assistance. To help with this answer I searched Google for: shotokan katas ://www.google.com/search?q=shotokan+katas Thanks for the great question Ted! SgtCory
rated this answer:
Quick, courteous reply. Have yet to look at the video, and I hope it will be a great help. Thank you.
From: skermit-ga on 09 Nov 2002 19:42 PST
Just as a comment from one martial artist to another, I've been taking Hung Ga Southern Style Kung Fu for almost 2 years now. Knowing the form is about 5% of your training, the application of each step of the form, plus knowing correct breathing, muscle tightening/relaxation is the other 95%. So knowing the form in its totality may look pretty, but won't actually improve your fighting potential. Try not to rush ahead of where your Sensei has placed you, he often knows his students better than they know themselves, and if you do decide to progress, try not to go too far. You may pick up bad habits or ingrain wrong movements that will be hard to unlearn. Instead, use videos or books as references that you can get your Sensei's opinion on, and try to help you understand better. Best of luck with your Shotokan, and hope to see you eventually at a mixed martial arts competition! skermit-ga
If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
|Search Google Answers for|