Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Legal Change of Identity ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   0 Comments )
Subject: Legal Change of Identity
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: henry041696-ga
List Price: $60.00
Posted: 14 Nov 2002 13:19 PST
Expires: 14 Dec 2002 13:19 PST
Question ID: 107874
When an individual has been severely assaulted, left for dead, and is
then stalked by an unknown assailant who appears to have access to
federal database information on the population, it is legal for that
individual to change his/her identity (entirely) to remove him/herself
from this threat. This can occur through local/state agencies,
however, that takes quite a long time.  I would like to find out, and
have come across websites that seem to deal in this, how to expedite
this process.  I do not mind paying a fee for assistance with it, as
long as it is legal.  However, I would not assume that the researcher
for this question would be able to establish whether websites or
businesses he/she referenced were operating legally, so would not hold
the researcher or Google responsible for that in any way.  I am
referring to changing all identity information: social security
number, birth date, name, address, losing credit history and
educational degrees, along with establishing new motor vehicle
registry and licensing info, and so on. What else needs to be
considered, how can this be done, through whom, and what type of
validating documentation might be required, considering the individual
was threatened should she report or "document" (e.g., medical care)
anything pertaining to the assault, being told that the assailant
worked for federal law enforcement and being shown identification
(with name hidden) to support this?  The interested individual does
plan to move to a new state and "start fresh" (even re-attending
college after receiving an M.A. from Harvard), with the intent of
protecting herself and those she cares about, including pets.  Thank
you in advance for any rapid assistance.  As I mentioned, this
individual can do this through state agencies, in the state she
currently resides; however, it would take several months.  We are
looking for a quicker change for her and her child and pets.

Request for Question Clarification by morningstar2000-ga on 14 Nov 2002 22:26 PST
Dear Henry - 
   I sense the urgency in what you are doing but have you spoken with
your local authorities about what is going on?   I am assume you have
or you would not be looking to do this through other channels.  Also
what do you mean this person has access to Federal Database
Information?    What information do you believe this person is
getting?    I have heard of a way you can change SSN, and of course
your name.  IT would help if we knew what state we were dealing with
as each state has a different requirement for name/birth certificate
changes.  Some will amend your original and others will completely
reissue a new certificate with the changes.  Most or maybe ALL states
require court orders to do this though.  And of course this leaves a
paper trail.   Have you considered speaking with the authorities about
a witness protection type program.   If this is truly life threatening
and it sounds as if it could be then they should help.  You may have
to make calls all the way up to your Legislative representatives but
again it doesn't sound like that would be too much of an issue for

I will be on late into the night and will start to track down some
general information for you.  But I really need to have a state to be
able to help you unless a link to state requirements would be of use.

Thank you and good luck, 

Clarification of Question by henry041696-ga on 15 Nov 2002 05:48 PST

Thanks for working on this.  I just have a sec; am late for an appt.,
but yes, there is an advocacy organization who can handle this
process, but it will take about 6 months, which is too long, based on
a need to move out of state. The state is Massachusetts and I have
been told that it would not be necessary to go to court under these
circumstances.  For example, the SSA may want a witness in the sense
of someone who can vouch for this event having occurred (a physician
or someone who saw the individual after the assault), but we are
trying to avoid that.  This "law enforcement" assailant has made it
very difficult to follow any channels utilizing law enforcement, which
is not apparently uncommon.  The law enforcement agencies themselves
have little to do with the process of changing identities unless it's
for a witness protection program.  However, this assailant is unknown
and cannot safely bereported anyway, given the situation and his
unknown place in law enforcement. Hope that was enough for now, gotta
run...  Thank you.

Clarification of Question by henry041696-ga on 18 Nov 2002 13:36 PST
It appears that Morningstar is not interested in researching this
question... If others are, please let me know asap.

Thank you.

Request for Question Clarification by ericynot-ga on 18 Nov 2002 13:44 PST
Have you tried this book from Paladin Press? MODERN IDENTITY CHANGER 

I would post this as an answer, but don't have access to the book and
can't vouch for its contents.

Clarification of Question by henry041696-ga on 18 Nov 2002 14:08 PST

Thank you for the reference--it seems like it would be worth checking
on.  If you or someone else does obtain access to the book, then a
rough overview of it, indicating whether it would provide sufficient
information to speed up and focus this particular identity changing
process at this point in time would be considered a full answer.  In
that case, I would obtain the book, assuming it is recently published
and close out the question.  If I don't get a further response from
here, or am able to get the book soon, and it is sufficient, I will
compensate you something for sending me in the right direction. 
Google ought to set up a way for question askers to partially
compensate researchers for partial answers (or perhaps give them
tips), but I suppose that could get out of hand (lol). Seems like a
good idea, though--maybe a place for tips attached to each comment

Request for Question Clarification by ericynot-ga on 18 Nov 2002 15:59 PST
I did some more looking based on your last clarification and found a
book that sounds even more promising. It's published in July, 2000 and
has a 4.6 out of 5 star rating on Amazon.

Also, you seemed (properly) concerned about legalities in this
delicate situation, and this book seems to be aligned with that point
of view. Here's a list of chapters:
1. How this Book Can Make You Invisible 2. U.S. Mail--Sending It,
Receiving It 3. Your "Ghost" Address 4. Home Deliveries, House Calls,
Bounty Hunters, FedEx, UPS 5. Untraceable Trash, Anonymous Utilities
6. Your Social Security Number and Date of Birth 7. Your Alternative
Names and Signatures 8. Telephones, Answering Machines, Faxes, Radios,
Beepers 9. How to Find and Use Nominees 10. How to Use a Trust for
Privacy 11. Strange Uses for Corporations 12. Limited-Liability
Companies 13. Hidden Ownership of Vehicles, and Real Estate 14. Bank
Accounts and Money Transfers 15. How to Secretly Run a Home-Based
Business 16. Anonymous Travel by Land, Sea, and Air 17. Computer,
E-mail, and the Internet 18. Crossing the Canadian and Mexican Borders
19. Secret Hiding Places 20. Cool Stuff That Did Not Fit in Earlier
21. An Exam, as Secret, and an Invitation

I strongly recommend you check this book out.

"How to Be Invisible: A Step-By-Step Guide to Protecting Your Assets,
Your Identity, and Your Life"
by J. J. Luna

I appreciate your willingness to pay a partial compensation for an
answer that is more direction than final conclusions. If you'd still
like to do that, you might try cancelling this question, re-posting
it, and directing it specifically to me, listing whatever price you
think appropriate. The other researchers will honor your wishes.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the very best of luck. I've been
in a similar, though far less dangerous situation, and have some idea
what you're going through.


Clarification of Question by henry041696-ga on 18 Nov 2002 17:09 PST

Thanks again for proceeding with this.  In the last book you
mentioned, there was a chapter on Social Security Numbers and
Birthdates.  First, I should say that I am an attorney and also work
in an advocacy setting, so I am actually doing this research (or
attempting to pay you to do it) so that I can help a client who is in
distress.  So, you can feel that the work you do with me is both
informative and definitely helpful to people in need (altruistic). 
This issue has come up before and I had to pass the clients on to
others who really weren't able to help them sufficiently. So, I've
decided, one way or another, to find out how this can be done for
decent people, since I know criminals are successful at doing it all
the time!  If everyone did it, of course it could seriously undermine
the state order in America, but most people likely won't want or need
to take the time/money to do all of this.  I am hoping that putting
this info on the web like this, with Google, doesn't make it too
awfully accessible to people who use these methods to hurt others and
then hide from the consequences.  Anyway, enough preaching, I guess...

What I am hoping you might be able to find out for me, even if it is
by calling a bookstore that carries the book, is whether that
above-referenced chapter actually tells an individual how to obtain a
new social security number with a new name, as an adult with a current
SSN and name that the adult wishes to abandon.  I imagine that the
person might need to adopt the name, birth date, and SSN of someone
who is deceased, but then, I don't know if that's legal.  I could find
out, but I don't think it is.  However, the "witness protection
programs" have been known to do some of this and sometimes the laws
might need to be altered a bit, and that is why some cases go to
court, with judges and/or juries who can decide to "update" the laws. 
So, if it is not entirely legal, but the person is not likely to get
in trouble for it, then it is not really an issue for me in regard to
the SSN, since that is such an important part of adopting a new (and
safe) identity.

So, sorry for the tangents, but if you could possibly even find some
newsgroups or listservers that discuss this type of thing, if the book
might not cover it thoroughly, I could investigate that.  Let me know
if you are able to get any further with this.  I don't mind paying two
researchers, if someone else really feels like they can answer this or
help out with it.  I am already planning to compensate Ericynot, but
the amount and tip will depend on the final outcome.  I can tip or
compensate others for additional comments.

Thanks again!

Request for Question Clarification by ericynot-ga on 19 Nov 2002 05:23 PST
This is turning into a rather lengthy clarification process, but
that's OK if we end up with useful results.

I've decided to go looking for a copy of Luna's book locally this
morning so I can review it for myself. After further looking into it
online, I remain impressed by its reviews.

It appears that  changing your client's SSN may not be difficult. This
from the official Social Security Administration website:

"SSA can assign new SSNs in the following situations, provided all of
the documentation requirements are met:

 Sequential SSNs assigned to members of the same family
 Certain scrambled earnings situations
 Certain wrong number cases
 Religious or cultural objection to certain numbers/digits in the SSN
 Misuse by a third party of the number holder's SSN and the number
holder has been disadvantaged by that particular misuse
 Harassment, abuse or life endangerment situations (including
domestic violence)

To apply for a new (different) SSN, you need to complete Form SS-5
(Application for a Social Security Card) which is available for
download at Or you can obtain
Form SS-5 by calling 1-800-772-1213 or visiting your local Social
Security office. These services are free.

You will also need to submit evidence age, identity, and U.S.
citizenship or lawful alien status. Form SS-5 explains what documents
will satisfy these requirements. You will also need to submit evidence
to support your need for a new number.

If you are age 18 or over, you must submit your request for a new SSN
in person at your local Social Security office."*&p_li=

You said you've already looked at some online identity modification
sites, but I thought I'd reference this one because it looks
promising. There is a good deal of what appears to be sound advice on
it, including the reasons why trying to take the identity of a
deceased infant is such a bad  plan. It also talks about the dangers
and ripoffs involved in trying to buy fake ID.

Be sure to read their section on "Common Mistakes"

"Change Your Identity" -  online service selling written materials

I'll get back to you with whatever else I can locate.


Clarification of Question by henry041696-ga on 19 Nov 2002 14:57 PST

Thanks once again for continuing with this. The additional info you
provided is very helpful, including the site. Please let me know if
you do come up with anything else (including other references to
potentially useful books or sites) and, whether you do or not, please
put something in the "Answer" box when you decide you are done, so I
can pay you directly from this posting.  I take this as a
demonstration of your perseverance to provide a highly helpful and
informative answer.

Take care,
Henry, Esq.
Subject: Re: Legal Change of Identity
Answered By: ericynot-ga on 20 Nov 2002 06:19 PST
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Good morning Henry,

I must regretfully report that searches yesterday at the three major
book dealers (Waldenbooks, Borders, and Barnes-Noble) in my local area
failed to produce a copy of Luna's book "How to Be Invisible" for my
personal review. It was also not at my local (suburban) library. I did
find it online at the nearest major-city library, but in the interest
of time I think it might be best for you to chase it from here.

At least we know the book is available both online at Amazon and
Barnes-Noble, and at some larger libraries. And an Amazon rating of
4.6 stars averaged over 40 reviews is strong validation of the book's
worth. I would, by the way, recommend reading those Amazon reviews,
because the reader comments contain some interesting information in
and of themselves.

Here's another site I turned up run by an entity called "End Stalking
In America" that has a great deal of additional information relevant
to your problem (and information is power, right?)

I strongly recommend paying special attention to this page (having to
do with SSN changes) on the ESIA site:

I hope the information and sources I've turned up will help your
client find safety and peace of mind. If you need anything else at
all, post a Request for Clarification and Google will notify me

Good luck!


Clarification of Answer by ericynot-ga on 20 Nov 2002 06:28 PST
As usual, I forgot to discuss my search strategy. The main Google
search terms used were "personal identity change" and "personal
identity changing".

In addition to that, I chased lots of hyperlinks around Amazon and
Barnes-Noble websites looking at various on-topic books and studying
their critical and reader reviews for relevance and content
henry041696-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars and gave an additional tip of: $30.00

You did a superb and thorough job! I found another book by searching
around on Amazon that looks like it will be worthwhile as well.  I
truly appreciate your efforts and am going out this evening to locate
some of these books, I hope (I will be calling around first, of
course). Again, thank you very much.  The extra info provided by
reference to the sites should be very helpful!

Henry, Esq.

There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy