Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Changing power adapters ( Answered,   1 Comment )
Subject: Changing power adapters
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: cynkent90-ga
List Price: $20.00
Posted: 14 Dec 2002 21:25 PST
Expires: 13 Jan 2003 21:25 PST
Question ID: 124820
I have several items purchased abroad which have and adapter of
230-240volt input with an output of 12volt, 2000ma. I'm trying to find
who in the U.S. can supply this adapater using 110-120volt input with
12volt 2000ma output. Places such as Radio Shack and Batteries Plus
could not help.
Subject: Re: Changing power adapters
Answered By: joey-ga on 14 Dec 2002 22:15 PST
Finding an adapter such as that shouldn't be too much trouble.

As a note, 2000mA = 2 amps.  Any adapter that will send through 2 amps
(2000 mA) or greater should work for you.  For instance, you could
purchase an adapter that provides 3.5 amps (3500mA) of throughput, and
your device would only use what it needed, though higher throughput
will generally mean a higher price.

Unfortunately, I can't point you to a specific item, because AC-DC
adapters can use several different "plug" tips.  However, there are
resources out there to help you figure out which electrical tips
you'll need for your specific devices.

Targus Adapters & "PowerTips"

Targus, Inc. is one of the leading manufacturers of adapter products,
available at many stores across the US, including Office Depot and
Best Buy.  If you check out their web site's power accessories
section, you can use their "PowerTip Configurator" (linked near the
top of the page) to see which Targus tips would fit your devices. 
Then most any "Universal AC Adapter" listed in that section should
work with your device if you purchase the additional PowerTip(s)
required by your device(s).  Just make sure that the particular
adapter you choose can handle greater than 2 amps of power throughput.

[ ]

Other brands of adapters should also be available at most consumer
electronics stores.  In particular, check for universal notebook
computer ac adapters, as they are designed for power-hungry computers
that necessitate the 2+ amps your devices need.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.


Search terms:
     +"ac adapters" +110v
     +"ac adapters" +110v +targus
Subject: Re: Changing power adapters
From: gomichan-ga on 14 Dec 2002 23:22 PST
joey is absolutely correct about the varieties in "plug tips"

But, nonetheless, one quick site which has 12V 2000mA 
AC/DC converters is here [seems Canadian]

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy