Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Speaker Wire ( Answered,   1 Comment )
Subject: Speaker Wire
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: pbf-ga
List Price: $2.00
Posted: 16 Dec 2002 12:25 PST
Expires: 15 Jan 2003 12:25 PST
Question ID: 125546
I need to purchase Moster Cable Speaker Wire for installing inside my
walls for a new entertainment system.  What kind should I purchase?

Request for Question Clarification by jeremymiles-ga on 16 Dec 2002 13:26 PST
Are you interested in the quality of the wire, value for money, or
some other feature that would make the wire desirable (or

Subject: Re: Speaker Wire
Answered By: cubist-ga on 16 Dec 2002 16:00 PST

The most reputable cable manufacturers are Monster Cables, they
provide high-end cables for pro-audio, home theatres, video and

form & colour:
When you want your cables in your walls, you don't need to buy flat
cables. Flat cables are used on walls, so you can camouflage them by
painting over.
In your walls, the colour doesn't matter, you won't see them. You
could use colour-coded connectors, so it's easy to hook them up

This is very important! Always go for gold cables, they provide much
better quality, for every use.

For the center speaker and the subwoofer, the M-series is legendary,
Audiophiles don't use other cables.
For the surround, rear and front, the xp-series is about the best you
can buy.

I don't know how big your house is, so you have to decide the length
yourself. But: don't use a longer cable than you need. More cable =
more loss.

If you want more choice, you can check out audioquest too, but I would
go for the Monster cables, they are the industry standard. Studios and
Theatres use them.


other quality cable manufacturer:

I hope this helps you out, should you have any more questions, feel
free to ask for clarification.


Request for Answer Clarification by pbf-ga on 16 Dec 2002 19:51 PST
I want to go up to our local home improvement store and buy the
Monster Cable. Their are several different kinds and not sure which
one to buy.  I would like to know what model number or name to buy. 
What Monster Cable is the best?

Clarification of Answer by cubist-ga on 28 Dec 2002 10:01 PST

Go for the M-series for the centre and Subwoofer, take the xp-series
for the rest. It all depends on your budget. There are no monster
cables that will give you a horrible sound, so you can't really miss.
Subject: Re: Speaker Wire
From: neilzero-ga on 16 Dec 2002 20:55 PST
The best is likely very expensive. The important considerations are
the plugs and connectors, the ease of getting the wire to it's
destination in the walls. Typically the voltage and impedance are low,
so safety is a minor issue even if you use 300 watts (peak) per
channel. Low impedance however calls for low resistance so useing # 14
or larger wire will give slightly better results especially for
speakers far from the source. Why do you want to restrict your self to
"monster" cable?  Neil

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy