Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Extending cat5 cable with j45 plug ( Answered 4 out of 5 stars,   1 Comment )
Subject: Extending cat5 cable with j45 plug
Category: Computers > Hardware
Asked by: nelson1805-ga
List Price: $2.00
Posted: 20 Dec 2002 01:13 PST
Expires: 19 Jan 2003 01:13 PST
Question ID: 127223
I have redecorated and now my cat5 cable does not reach, it needs a
extension piece is their a simple way of doing this
Subject: Re: Extending cat5 cable with j45 plug
Answered By: vinods-ga on 20 Dec 2002 05:06 PST
Rated:4 out of 5 stars
Hi nelson1805, 

Although pmrozik-ga's method is definitely simple, I feel it is not
too reliable and is susceptible to becoming a troublesome connection
in time to come. As an audio engineer, I will never attempt a twist of
two cables as a permanent solution, but rather as a temporary, 'for
the moment' solution only when there is no time at all to make a cable
or terminate a cable properly. If the relocation of your computer is
not 'for a few hours', it does not fall into this 'for the moment'

The ideal way would be to terminate the end of your existing cable
with a female RJ-45 connector and getting a 'jumper' cable
(male-to-male) of appropriate length. In your case, since the cable
was serving an existing connection, most probably it will already be
terminated into a female RJ-45, probably a wall panel type. In this
case you will only have to go to the local computer store and buy a
patch cable of appropriate length.

In case you don't have the existing cable terminating into a female
RJ-45 socket, you can also get a few sockets and a crimping tool and
'DIY'! I don't think this may be the case though.

In any case, you will have to make that trip to the local computer
supplies store. You can also ask them if they will sell you a
female-male terminated patch. The guys out there can make one for you
in minutes if they don't have one already! This way you can avoid
needing to buy/borrow a crimping tool. The process is not very
difficult by the way, you may make an error in crimping and lose a RJ
connector, but then you will simply have to snip it off and start with
a new one! (So make sure you have a few spares if you are going to do
it yourself!)

How to terminate a CAT5 cable with an RJ45 connector:
Copyright 2001 Blue Max Technology

Shielded Category 5 Patch Cables from

Warm regards

search strategy ;
terminating CAT cables how to
patch CAT cables
nelson1805-ga rated this answer:4 out of 5 stars
This is want i have done it works fine thanks very much

Subject: Re: Extending cat5 cable with j45 plug
From: pmrozik-ga on 20 Dec 2002 02:50 PST

An amateur way of doing this would be to simply get another cat5
cable. Then you could do the following:

1) Cut off the plug of the cable that doesn't reach.
2) Cut off the plug on one side of the new cable you had purchased.
3) Rewire. Connect the corresponding colors (unless you're connecting
two systems via crossover, but I'm not going to get into that)
4) Make sure the cables are wired tightly, put some masking tape
around the part you had connected up and try it out.

I believe this to be the cheapest solution, and it should take no
longer than 20 minutes.

Good Luck!


Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy