Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Prime agricultural land in California ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   0 Comments )
Subject: Prime agricultural land in California
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: m0ng00se-ga
List Price: $25.00
Posted: 05 Jan 2003 10:39 PST
Expires: 04 Feb 2003 10:39 PST
Question ID: 137873
Exactly which areas in Merced County, Ca are officially classified as
"Prime Agricultural Land"?
Subject: Re: Prime agricultural land in California
Answered By: ragingacademic-ga on 06 Jan 2003 11:40 PST
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Dear m0ng00se,

Thanks for your question.  First, let me request that if any of the
following is unclear or if you require any further research – please
don’t hesitate to ask me for a clarification.

The Central Valley in California is considered to be “the world’s most
important agricultural region” according to this report from the Great
Valley Center in Modesto, California.

According to the following, 

“The city's [Dos Palos, Merced County] General Plan, which was
approved in 1991, recognizes the need to preserve prime agricultural
lands and directs growth toward the agriculturally limited South Dos
Palos and Midway areas, where alkaline soils are found and toward
existing unincorporated population centers.

*** It prohibits growth north of Carmelia Road where the nations
largest block of contiguous prime agricultural land exists. ***

This concept was commended by Department of Food and Agriculture
valuable agricultural land.”

The following map will show you the location of Merced Country
relative to the rest of Northern CA –

Here is a map of Merced County –

While I have not been able to identify Carmelia Road, I am guessing
that it is either route 152, or a road parallel to route 152 but
further south (i.e. closer to Dos Palos).

Here’s a report on the type and quality of farmland in various regions
of Merced County –

I hope this response adequately addresses your request.  Please let me
know if you are in need of additional information concerning this


Request for Answer Clarification by m0ng00se-ga on 07 Jan 2003 08:31 PST
Hey  ragingacademic,

Thanks for your response. You obviously put some time and effort into
this and it is much appreciated. I need some more specifics however.
You did come up with some pretty exact areas in the Dos palos area but
as you can see from the county map, there's several small towns in
Merced County. Actually, I can live without knowing where every piece
of Prime Agricultural land in the county is, I'd be overjoyed if you
could just tell me what land has been designated "Prime Agricultura"
in the Los Banos area, specifically land west of hwy 165.


Clarification of Answer by ragingacademic-ga on 07 Jan 2003 12:07 PST
m0ng00se -

Hi again.  Thanks for your request for clarification.

I am awaiting a response from Rich Green at the Merced County
Association of Governments.  They are actually in the process of
putting relevant maps online, but that's not going to happen for a few
more days.  If you want to try and reach him as well, he is at -

Phone (209) 723-3153
FAX (209) 723-0322

I will post the information here the minute I receive it.

In the mean time, you may want to take a look at the following
interactive map - click on any section to receive an aerial photograph
of the section! Pretty cool...

(although this seems to be an area of the county that is east of

Another resource - The Great Valley Center issues wonderful annual
reports that address various environmental and economic factors,
including soil quality, drainage etc. - not the geographic data you
seek, but lots of other information that may be useful to you -

Back to you soon.

Request for Answer Clarification by m0ng00se-ga on 08 Jan 2003 08:30 PST
Thanks for sticking with this. The "Rich Green at the Merced County
Association of Governments" lead sounds like a good one and I will
anxiously wait to hear further from you regarding it.
In the meantime, using info and links you have provided, I have made
contact with a "Farmland Mapping and Monitoring Program" at the Calif
Dept of Conservation. They say they can provide me with "Important
Farmland" maps of Merced County and even enlargements of the Los Banos
area. If this proves out and/or Rich Green comes through, my problem
will be solved and you'll get the credit (along with a tip).

Clarification of Answer by ragingacademic-ga on 09 Jan 2003 16:20 PST
m0ng00se - 

Hi.  Just put in another call to Rich Green as I had not heard back
from him yet, he is supposed to call me.  Will keep you updated.


Clarification of Answer by ragingacademic-ga on 09 Jan 2003 17:05 PST
m0ng00se - 

The eagle has landed... ;-)

Ok, you can buy a map from the Merced County Association of
Governments that will designate land of the following types:
+ grazing
+ land of local importance
+ *** prime ***
+ land of statewide importance
+ unique
+ urban
+ water

The map is 34" x 44" and costs $50.

To order it, please call Natalia at 209.723.3153 extension 319.  The
map is called "Map of Farmland of Statewide Importance."

This should provide you with the exact information you require.

thanks for allowing me to assist you in this endeavor!

Clarification of Answer by ragingacademic-ga on 11 Jan 2003 20:09 PST
m0ng00se - 

Thanks much for the rating, tip and comments!
Good luck with your endeavor.

m0ng00se-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars and gave an additional tip of: $10.00
I got what I needed in two different formats from two different
sources. This researcher did good! Thank you raging academic.

There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy