Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Phone numbers ( Answered 4 out of 5 stars,   0 Comments )
Subject: Phone numbers
Category: Computers > Wireless and Mobile
Asked by: vital_info-ga
List Price: $50.00
Posted: 21 Jan 2003 09:07 PST
Expires: 20 Feb 2003 09:07 PST
Question ID: 146506
I  would like to buy a phone number with call forwarding to a mobile
phone.I m not a business so the service should allow persons to do
that not only business.Thanks.

Request for Question Clarification by serenata-ga on 21 Jan 2003 09:32 PST
Hi Vital-info:

What you're asking shouldn't be too hard to accomplish. It would help,
though, to know your location (City and State) and whether or not you
are looking for a local number or to purchase the use of a toll-free

Also, do you have a particular phone number you know isn't assigned
that you want to buy?

Subject: Re: Phone numbers
Answered By: prof-ga on 21 Jan 2003 10:53 PST
Rated:4 out of 5 stars

This should be a pretty easy thing to accomplish. First, I'm going to
assume that you're within the area served by one of the regional Bell
operating companies. If that's not the case, let me know and I'll find
out the details for your specific area of the country.

You should be able to get complete information off of one of their
websites, for example:


SBC Communications (Formerly Pacific Bell)

This is a little-known service that all the Bells offer. And it's
really a shame more people don't know about it.

Simply call your Bell office and sign up for business phone service.
There are no qualifications for a consumer to get business service, so
it would make no difference whether you are an individual or a
business. However only the business side can provide this service.

When you establish service you will need to sign up for "remote call
forwarding". This means that there will not be a physical phone
attached to this number. It is just kept in the Bell computer.

Simply tell Bell what number to forward it to. This can be either a
mobile number or business number. Residential numbers are not
permitted. If you ever want to change the number that it is forwarded
to, you'll need to call Bell.

I use this service now and have the calls forwarded to my mobile
phone. The cost is $16 per month, plus a charge for each call. (This
is the only way you can get this service.) I pay 4 cents for the first
minute, and 2 cents for each additional minute.

I just called my local Bell office and they confirmed that this
service should be available in most parts of the country. And there
are no restrictions on who can get a "business" number.

Let me know if I'm totally off base, or if this doesn't address your
particular situation. I'll get back to work! :)

Thanks for the questions!


Request for Answer Clarification by vital_info-ga on 21 Jan 2003 18:23 PST
First of all you must understand that i don t want to connect my
personal phone with the one i want it to buy.So if you find a service
which will host a phonenumber and will forward the calls at my mobile
it would be the best.

Clarification of Answer by prof-ga on 21 Jan 2003 21:14 PST

Okay, let me be sure I understand. You want a phone number that is not
connected to any phone. But is simply a number that is then forwarded
to another number - your mobile. Right? Let me know if I'm wrong.

That is what I think the telephone companies can offer you, if I'm
right. But let me be absolutely sure. I can give you the specific
person and company to talk to, and all the details.

Can you tell me what city and state you live in? I'll make some phone
calls and find out exactly what your options are in that area.


Request for Answer Clarification by vital_info-ga on 22 Jan 2003 08:27 PST
I am in MADISON WI 53713.I think that you ve understant me.The phone
shold be on my name and if some one call that number then the call
must be forwarded to my cell.

Clarification of Answer by prof-ga on 22 Jan 2003 12:57 PST

Thanks for the information. Okay, as I'm sure you know your Bell
telephone company is SBC

SBC Communications

The number to reach them in Wisconsin is (800) 924-1000, 7 am to 7 pm
Monday through Friday. I talked to both a business and a residential

In Wisconsin a remote call forwarding business line must go to a "land
line", a real address phone. It cannot be forwarded to a mobile.

However, a consumer can get a phone and put remote call forwarding on
it. What you will have to do is establish service for a residential
line. All you need is the service. There is a $51 activation fee and
$12.51 a month charge. You'll also need to get the call forwarding

The easy way would be to install the line, plug in a phone and forward
the phone to your mobile. Then unplug the phone, even physically
disconnect the phone line from the house, and forget it. From then on
the calls to that number will always be forwarded to your mobile.

A less "smooth" way would be to ask Bell to go ahead and forward the
number. They may or may not, but it's certainly possible.

Hope this solves your problem. And thanks for the question!


Request for Answer Clarification by vital_info-ga on 22 Jan 2003 15:21 PST
one more thing: 

   "A less "smooth" way would be to ask Bell to go ahead and forward
number. They may or may not, but it's certainly possible." 

   I think that this number you are talking about is the one that i
want to buy.But where will they install it?

Clarification of Answer by prof-ga on 22 Jan 2003 21:24 PST

You'll need to call to find out exactly. But they do need to have a
physical address for billing. I know they can see you a number without
installing it. It just depends on if they want to.

Worst case, have them install the line on one outlet in a closet,
forward the calls, and then uplug the phone from that outlet and
forget that it's there. Will that work?

vital_info-ga rated this answer:4 out of 5 stars

There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy