Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: How do I get this type effect in photoshop or illustrator? ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   0 Comments )
Subject: How do I get this type effect in photoshop or illustrator?
Category: Arts and Entertainment > Visual Arts
Asked by: twiddler-ga
List Price: $5.00
Posted: 29 Jan 2003 09:57 PST
Expires: 28 Feb 2003 09:57 PST
Question ID: 150020
Here are two logos from the new sims online game. Once has an embossed
letter feel and the other has a plastice letter feel. How do I achieve
these effects?

Request for Question Clarification by feilong-ga on 29 Jan 2003 10:56 PST
Hi Twiddler,

The graphics you want are easy to make if you know how to use layering
techniques plus a great plug-in I know. Please tell me:
1) The Photoshop version you are using
2) What image plug-ins are installed or what you are using right now
3) If you know how to layer images


Clarification of Question by twiddler-ga on 29 Jan 2003 11:51 PST
I use Photoshop Elements which is like a photoshop light and I believe
this is the list of plugins available to me

I also use Ilustrator 9 and here are some of the plugins available to
me in it

I hope this additional info helps :)

Request for Question Clarification by feilong-ga on 29 Jan 2003 12:30 PST
I'm a Corel user but I could guide you if you have Photoshop because
I'm also familiar with the program and the procedure is just the same.
I'm not familiar with Photoshop Elements. The links you gave me are
helpful and informative but then, I'm not sure if the effects in the
plug-ins you have will deliver the result you want since I cannot see
the end result of each effects. You may want to wait and seek the help
of other researchers who may be familiar with Photoshop Elements.

If you want, you can also allow me to just post the procedures as an
answer so that you can have a reference material to guide you. It's
your choice. For now, your question is open to all.

Subject: Re: How do I get this type effect in photoshop or illustrator?
Answered By: sycophant-ga on 29 Jan 2003 22:11 PST
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
I do not have a copy of Photoshop Elements installed currently,
however, the effect you are looking for is quite simple.

Each part of the image is compiled on a seperate layer - lets look at
your first image as an example. There are three main layers:
Layer 1: The white background
Layer 2: The red filled logo outline.
Layer 3: The white logo elements.

Layer 1 has no effects and nothing by the white background.
Layer 2 is transparent with only the red logo element, and has two
layer effects applied: A black 'outer glow' and an 'inside bevel'.
Layer 3 has the same two effects, only the transparency on the 'outer
glow' is much less, so that the shadow effect is less prominent.

The second image is compiled in a very similar way, only the layer
effect used on the logo layer is called a 'pillow emboss'.

You should ba able to alter the layer effect settings to produce
different levels of shine on your image.

A simple guide to using the Photoshop Elements layer effects can be
found here:

By using the technique demonstrated in that link on text layers and
layers with transparent areas, you should be able to create effects
that are very similar to those demostrated in the images you provided.

In searching for details on the implementation of these features in
Photoshop Elements, I also came upon the following site, which has a
good range of Elements tutorials.

As for a similar effect in Illustrator, that is unlikely. I have no
used Illustrator in a number of versions, however the fact that
Illustrator is working exclusively in vector graphics makes effects
like this pretty much impossible, however Photoshop images and layers
can be imported into Illustrator documents, although it restricts, to
some extent, the flexability offered with vector graphics.

I hope this helps, I am a little blind to the specifics of the
Elements version of Photoshop, however I have been using various
versions of Photoshop for many years. Let me know if you have any
problems, or if my explanations are unclear.

twiddler-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars
thank you :)

There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy