Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Network "Switch" Cord. URGENT ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   0 Comments )
Subject: Network "Switch" Cord. URGENT
Category: Computers > Hardware
Asked by: chance_ak-ga
List Price: $7.00
Posted: 21 Mar 2003 14:56 PST
Expires: 20 Apr 2003 15:56 PDT
Question ID: 179335

I need to know how to make a network cable to hook two hubs together.
I know i need to switch the cords i just dont know in what order. If
you could provide diagrams or pictures or even just explain exactly
which ones to move where. I am using Cat 5e cord. it has a total of 8
wires running through it. If you need more info let me know or call me
at 907-874-4304. Ask for "Wayne Nelson".
I really need this fast so i wont mind if you post the answer in parts
as you get them.
Wayne Nelson
Subject: Re: Network "Switch" Cord. URGENT
Answered By: snapanswer-ga on 21 Mar 2003 15:29 PST
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
What you are referring to is called a crossover cable.  Due to your
urgent time constraint, I will limit the number of examples.  You can
choose which presentation you prefer, however, the steps are
essentially the same at both of these sites with diagrams that can be
found about half way down the page.

Littlewhitedog:  "How to make a crossover cable" by Fido, September
22, 2000  "How-to: Do it yourself Ethernet Crossover Cable"
by Larry Mingus, October 4, 1998

Also, you may want to check the hub or switch you are connecting to. 
Many of these devices offer an "Uplink" port that make the "crossover"
internally, allowing you to use a standard ethernet cable instead of a
crossover cable.  Sometimes, the Uplink port will have a small button
or flipswitch next to it, allowing you to toggle between standard and
crossover modes.

Search Strategy:  Search for information about crossover cables.

Search Terms:  make crossover cable

I hope you have found this information useful and easy to understand. 
If you have any questions about this information, please do not
hesitate to post a clarification request prior to rating the answer.

Request for Answer Clarification by chance_ak-ga on 21 Mar 2003 16:03 PST
OOh, i forgot one thing.
The standard is the same for CAt 5e right?
Thanks for the answer,

Clarification of Answer by snapanswer-ga on 21 Mar 2003 16:29 PST
It appears that the instructions for CAT 5, CAT 5E, and CAT 6 are the
same.  You want to wire one end as standard 568B and the other as
"crossed" 568A.  In the end, it is the physical location of the wires
that matter.

I believe that this additional tutorial will be of interest to you. 
In the notes for the diagram, see item number 4 regarding crossover
cables:  "How to make a category 5E Patch Cable" by Tony Casazza

Also, at the risk of adding redundant details, this may also be of
DUX Computer Digest:  "Color Code Standards"
chance_ak-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars
Everything I needed in about half an hour! Thanks!!!

There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy