Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: deased family members social number ( Answered,   1 Comment )
Subject: deased family members social number
Category: Family and Home > Relationships
Asked by: ramgo-ga
List Price: $2.50
Posted: 02 Apr 2003 15:05 PST
Expires: 02 May 2003 16:05 PDT
Question ID: 185113
I need the social number of a deceased family member to claim
insurance money now available due to unclaimed funds being made
avilable by Met life. I need the social security of Frank J.
Marcinowski Sr.who died on 09/02/68

Request for Question Clarification by aceresearcher-ga on 02 Apr 2003 15:28 PST
Greetings, ramgo!

Can you provide any additional information, such as birthdate and
state of residence?



Request for Question Clarification by aceresearcher-ga on 02 Apr 2003 18:24 PST

I have located a death record that *might* be for the person you seek;
however, some of the details are different, and without the birthdate
and state of birth or residence, it will be difficult to confirm
whether this is really the person for whom you are looking.

If you can post any of that additional information, it would assist
greatly in making a positive identification.


Subject: Re: deased family members social number
Answered By: filian-ga on 03 Apr 2003 08:22 PST
Hello ramgo-ga,

The Social Security Death Index is a database freely available on the
web and you can search for all deceased relatives in it. I did find a
Frank Marcinowski who died in 1968. The index states this Mr.
Marcinowski died in August, though. I'm adding this here because when
my grandmother passed away, there had been a problem with some of the
data and some sources say she died on one date and others say she died
on another date. Since I witnessed this actually happen with my
grandmother I thought it might be possible that the index is
displaying the month of death as August instead of September in error.
Of course, this only applies if the state is indeed Pennsylvania.

The only FRANK MARCINOWSKI the Index lists as having passed in 1968

SSN 187-16-3659 
Born 17 Oct 1917 
Died Aug 1968 

The Social Security Death Index offers the same search (but you must first register as a
guest -- it's free) and also offers am easy way to write to the Social
Security Administration to request an "SS-5" -- an application for a
Social Security number.

"Not everyone who has, or has had, a Social Security card will appear
on the Social Security Death Index (SSDI). The SSDI lists only those
individuals for whom a lump sum death benefit was paid. Many other
enrolled persons are not listed either because their death was not
reported or they are still living. If you haven't found your deceased
ancestor on the SSDI, but he or she was likely enrolled with the
Social Security system, it may still be possible to get a photocopy of
his or her original SS-5.

To request this information, you will need to send the name and Social
Security number of the person you're researching. You might be able to
locate the person's Social Security number in the following places:

personal papers
death certificate
funeral home records
records held by financial institutions
voter registration rolls at county courthouse
former employers of the individual 

If those sources don't produce the number, you may request a "records
search" with the Social Security Administration. To request this
service you must send $29 and provide the following information: full
name, state of birth, and date of birth to:
Freedom of Information Officer
4-H-8 Annex Building
6401 Security Boulevard
Baltimore, Maryland 21235"

I myself have sent one of these letters to find information about my
deceased relative and was able to secure a copy of their application.
It was extremely helpful.

I hope this information helps you. If you need a clarification please
let me know and I will do my best to aid you in your continued search.



social security death index
Subject: Re: deased family members social number
From: 4keith-ga on 03 Apr 2003 10:39 PST


Do you know for certain what city/state Frank may have been living in
when he died?  It is probably somewhere in Pennsylvania.  Since the
place of death is not listed in the Social Security Death Index, you
can pay a private investigator about $50-$100 to trace his SSN (or
give the date of birth) and he can find out the last known residence,
or go ahead and try to order his death certificate from the State of
Pennsylvania.  When you find out what city he lived in, then you
should contact the county courthouse probate court for that city to
inquire to see whether or not there is a last will and testament on
file for him.  If there is, get the name and address of the estate
executor and also look at the will to see if you are named as a
beneficiary in the will.

It will depend on how closely related you are to Frank whether or not
the State of Pennsylvania will let you claim this money.  Usually, the
executor of the estate has first priority to have the legal authority
to claim it, so you will not be getting the money but you should
inform the executor about this matter so that he/she can claim it and
then divide it according to what the will says (if there was one), or
according to intestate probate procedures if there was NOT a will, in
which case you might stand to get a share of it depending on how you
are related to him.

If you need research assistance and don't want to pay for it, or if
you have further questions regarding information needed to file a
claim or how to get those records, then visit the website, click on the MESSAGE BOARD section, then in the
and a page of results will come up showing
pretend/assume that he lived there) and then post your message about
Frank on that message board and genealogists can help you find out
more information.


Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy