Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Passport application problems due to delayed birth certificate ( No Answer,   1 Comment )
Subject: Passport application problems due to delayed birth certificate
Category: Family and Home > Families
Asked by: elaria-ga
List Price: $25.00
Posted: 26 Apr 2003 06:31 PDT
Expires: 26 May 2003 06:31 PDT
Question ID: 195723
Passport Services requires more documentation re: my birth date and
birth place, as my birth certificate was submitted more than a year
after my birth.  My problems with this request are as follows:

1) I have no hospital records; I was born at home. 

2) I have no immunization records; my parents exempted me for
religious reasons.

3) I have no baptismal record; my church doesn't baptise as babies. 

4) The only people who attended my birth were my parents and my
grandmother (the latter died in 1979 and did not ever leave a written
statement attesting to my birth date or place; my parents were
responsible for the 2 individual affidavits vouching for my birth on
my certificate).

5)Passport services says that early school records would be helpful,
but my early report cards only have my name on them, no d.o.b. or
other identifying information other than year attended.

6)Passport Services (via phone) told me that submitting a sibling's
birth certificate would be helpful, but I don't understand how as my
only sibling is younger than I am, it says nothing about me, and we
didn't live at the same address by that point in time.

7)Passport Services stipulates that "notarized copies and photocopied
documents are not acceptable for passport purposes".

Further information: 

My birth certificate or "Finding and Order Establishing Registration
of Birth" was submitted when I was nearly 7, just in time for me to go
to school (late).

I don't believe I can secure census records on my family, as I don't
believe they are available for fairly recent years (aka 1980).

I have received my health record examination paper from my elementary
school (done when I was 7; when I began attending school), which
specifies date of birth.

For some reason, passport services will accept current affidavits of
my parents re: my birth, even though the previous affidavits were what
created the birth certificate they won't accept in the first place.

I am in process of obtaining the application for a Social Security #
that my father submitted, which should have that information (but it
requires 60 days delivery time and if I don't submit my info back to
Passport Services w/i 90 days they will cancel my request and I'll
have to start all over again, most likely with another $55 app. fee).

Thank you and I hope I've been thorough.

Request for Question Clarification by larre-ga on 26 Apr 2003 13:47 PDT
Thank you, elaria, you've been very thorough in giving us background.
What is it exactly you'd like us to do for you?


Clarification of Question by elaria-ga on 26 Apr 2003 19:34 PDT
I need to know what other types of records I should be looking for, if
there are any, that would give a date of birth and place of birth.  I
am going under the assumption that as a legal resident, there MUST BE
a way for me to meet Passport Services' approval.  It just doesn't
make any sense that I, who had no control over my birth and lack of
documentation of it, will be penalized by being unable in any and all
ways to obtain a Passport.
There is no answer at this time.

Subject: Re: Passport application problems due to delayed birth certificate
From: eponine-ga on 07 May 2003 21:35 PDT
If Passport services will accept a census record, you can acquire one
from the Census' "Age Search Service" as detailed at . The cost is $40
and covers through the year 1990. It does mention on the site that
"Individuals can use these making
passport applications." It says it can take 3-4 weeks, but you can
request to have the information sent directly to another party (the
passport agency in your case). Perhaps this will help you. Other
thoughts are that you could call your most recently attended school
(high school, perhaps) to see if their office still has any records on
file that would have your birth date on them. Another idea would be if
there was a birth announcement in your local paper/church newsletter
that would prove your date and place of birth. The Social Security
application should have the proper information on it. I'm not sure if
you can get copies or if they would accept them, but your parents' tax
returns would also give some evidence to when they began to claim you
and whether they were citizens.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy