Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: US mortgage subservicing ( Answered,   1 Comment )
Subject: US mortgage subservicing
Category: Business and Money > Finance
Asked by: tanjam-ga
List Price: $10.00
Posted: 14 May 2003 02:27 PDT
Expires: 13 Jun 2003 02:27 PDT
Question ID: 203508
If a US mortgage bank outsources their loans to a third party
subservicing provider, is the hand on of the loans liable to value
added tax?
Subject: Re: US mortgage subservicing
Answered By: hlabadie-ga on 19 May 2003 21:40 PDT
There is no Value Added Tax in the US. It has been discussed by
political candidates as a possible substitute for the graduated income
tax, but has never been implemented. Significant opposition to it has
been voiced on a number of grounds. Some find it regressive. Others,
for instance, the National Governors' Association, feel that it would
damage state revenues.

National Governors' Association,1169,C_POLICY_POSITION%5ED_486,00.html

"9.2 National Sales or Value-Added Tax

The nation's Governors oppose a national sales or transactional
value-added tax. Such taxes would intrude into a tax area that has
traditionally been reserved for and relied on by state and local
governments. If enacted, either of these taxes would seriously
threaten the ability of state and local governments to maintain their
tax base."

Securities issued by the federally chartered Federal National Mortgage
Association and Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation are tax exempt
(state and federal).

Section 2605.Servicing mortgage loans and adminstration of escrow

A Primer on the Secondary Mortgage Market


Subject: Re: US mortgage subservicing
From: neilzero-ga on 14 May 2003 16:31 PDT
As far as I know there is no value added tax in the USA. Generally
federal income taxes are on the total business, so gains and losses on
individual lones is not computed for corporation taxes, but it is for
private lenders. Typically a loss occurs when you sell the mortgage to
a third party. If a gain occured it would be taxable.  Neil

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy