Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: American Indians ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   2 Comments )
Subject: American Indians
Category: Relationships and Society > Cultures
Asked by: charlie18-ga
List Price: $15.00
Posted: 08 Jul 2003 07:16 PDT
Expires: 07 Aug 2003 07:16 PDT
Question ID: 226486
What percentage of a certain race do you have to be to be considered
an minoity? For example if my great-great grandmother was cherokee
indian, does that make me a minority?

Request for Question Clarification by thx1138-ga on 08 Jul 2003 08:29 PDT
Hello charlie18 and thank you for your question.

Are you specifically refering to the Cherokee nation or are you just
using that as an example? As different organizations have different
ways of defining the word minority.

Best regards


Clarification of Question by charlie18-ga on 08 Jul 2003 08:40 PDT
I am trying to figure out if I would be considered an minority because
of my American Indian heritage. I have been told if you are 1/16 of a
minority race you would be considered a minority by the federal
govenment.I want to find out if this is in fact true.My great-great
grandmother was full blooded Cherokee Indian which would make me 1/16
Cherokee Indian.

Request for Question Clarification by thx1138-ga on 08 Jul 2003 08:48 PDT
Hello again charlie18 and thank you for your question.

I have a lengthy answer for you, but basically the answer is "maybe" 
I realise that this is not a direct "yes" or "no" answer but the
reality is that it will depend on several things.
Would you like me to post my research as an answer even though there
is no definitive answer at this time?

(My research details the steps you need to go through to prove that
you are entitled to be called a member of the Cherokee tribe (and
therefore belong to a minority group)

Very best regards


Clarification of Question by charlie18-ga on 10 Jul 2003 05:23 PDT
Thanks 1138. Yes please go ahead and post the answer. The steps I
would have to go through are
an important part of the answer I believe.

thanks again
Subject: Re: American Indians
Answered By: thx1138-ga on 10 Jul 2003 06:13 PDT
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Hello charlie18, thank you for your question and subsequent.

The answer is maybe, but you will have to find out which particular
band of Cherokee your great great grandmother belonged to and then
prove it with documentary evidence.

"The Eastern Band of the Cherokees requires that you be 1/16 or higher
to join, and the Keetowah band requires a blood quantum of 1/4 or
higher. The Cherokee Nation, on the other hand, has no quantum
restrictions. The majority of the Cherokee Nation has 1/4 or less
Indian blood."

"The Bureau of Indian Affairs has used a "blood quantum"
definition—generally, one-fourth degree of American Indian
"blood"—and/or tribal membership to recognize a person as an American
Indian. However, each tribe has a particular set of requirements,
typically including a blood quantum, for membership (enrollment) in
the tribe. Requirements vary widely from tribe to tribe: a few tribes
require at least a one-half Indian (or tribal) blood quantum; many
others require a one-fourth blood quantum; still others, generally in
California and Oklahoma, require a one-eighth, one-sixteenth, or
one-thirty-second blood quantum; and some tribes have no minimum blood
quantum requirement at all but require an explicitly documented tribal

"To be eligible for Tribal Membership with the Cherokee Nation, you
must apply and be able to present a Certificate of Degree of Indian
Blood (CDIB), issued by the Bureau of Indian Affairs."

"Many descendents of Cherokee Indians can neither be certified nor
qualify for tribal membership in the Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma
because their ancestors were not enrolled during the final enrollment.
Unfortunately, these ancestor did not meet the requirements for the
final enrollment. The requirements at that time were (1) applying
between 1899-1906, (2) appearing on previous tribal rolls of 1880 or
1896, and (3) having a permanent residence within the Cherokee Nation
(now the 14 northeastern counties of Oklahoma). If the ancestors had
seperated from the Tribe and settled in states such as Arkansas,
Kansas, Missouri, and Texas, they lost their citizenship within the
Cherokee Nation. Only enrolled members of the Cherokee Nation named on
the Final Rolls and/or their descendents are furnished Certificates of
Degree of Indian Blood and/or Tribal Membership."

And you can download the application form on this page: (Top right in
PDF format)

"Found A Roll Number! Now What???"

"A Guide to Cherokee Research"

Thank you for your question and if you have any questions regarding my
answer, do not hesitate to ask for a clarification.

Very best regards


Search strategy included:
"Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood " "great great" cherokee
charlie18-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars
The answer was very detaild and specific and it also has all of the
links I need to further my searc.

Subject: Re: American Indians
From: cynthia-ga on 09 Jul 2003 10:19 PDT
I'm sure the answer is fascinating thx1138, and I, for one, hope you
get the OK to post the answer --I have a friend in a similiar
situation who could benefit from your research as well...

Subject: Re: American Indians
From: aziza-ga on 05 Aug 2003 10:21 PDT
I have  a native american family member.
To look at him he is Spanish, or Italian, or some other dark, but not
dark heritage.
In fact he is several groups of native american and mexican indian and
irish. However, he is registerd and grew up in ( and receives monthly
checks from, as do his children who are diluted by half again by
european blood) an entirely different tribe in the Pacific Northwest.
Contact every Indian nation you can - One of them will surely register

And are you a minority?  - NO.  European / Caucasions are the actual
minorities!  They just, so far, still run the show!

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy