Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Architecture by correspondence ( Answered,   1 Comment )
Subject: Architecture by correspondence
Category: Reference, Education and News > Education
Asked by: gerda578-ga
List Price: $50.00
Posted: 27 Jul 2003 03:55 PDT
Expires: 26 Aug 2003 03:55 PDT
Question ID: 235595
I want to find an institution where I can study for a degree or
diploma in architecture by correspondence or email.

Request for Question Clarification by vitalmed-ga on 27 Jul 2003 19:38 PDT
Hello gerda578-ga,

I can provide you the names of organizations or institutions that
offer  architecture degree or diploma programs. Do you have further
preferences or criteria to ensure that it meets your needs? For
example, should it be in any particular geographic region? Do you
prefer a program offered through a college or university or another
type of institution?

Best regards,


Clarification of Question by gerda578-ga on 28 Jul 2003 02:15 PDT
I am actually looking for my daughter who lives in Israel.  She did a
partime course in interior design but she now works in an architect's
office doing much more than that.  She actually designs and draws up
houses and extentions to houses amongst other things.  As she is not
officially qualified she cannot submit her designs to the authorities
and has to get someone else to certify them.  She needs a degree or
diploma which will be recognised in Israel.  She does not have the
time to attend classes but would like to study at home.  She is mainly
interested in designing homes and extensions but is prepared to take
on any job that comes along.  At the moment she is designing the foyer
of a Synagogue and cowsheds.  An English university would probably be
best because that is near enough to do exams if the exams are not
available in Israel.  She was born in Australia and studied here so
her English is fluent.

Request for Question Clarification by vitalmed-ga on 28 Jul 2003 05:17 PDT
Hello gerda578,

I just want to check that by "English" you mean a university that is
in England. Is that correct?



Clarification of Question by gerda578-ga on 31 Jul 2003 03:40 PDT
Yes I do mean a university in the United Kingdom or Ireland.

Clarification of Question by gerda578-ga on 02 Aug 2003 02:32 PDT
When am I going to get any information?

Request for Question Clarification by politicalguru-ga on 03 Aug 2003 07:20 PDT
Dear Gerda, 

(1) I have searched all my databases and found no British/Irish
undergraduate (BA) programme in architecture, that could be
accomplished by distance learning.

(2) I have also reviewed the Israeli architecture registration bylaws.
The degree in architecture must be from a recognised university, and
must be in architecture (not, for example, interior design).

Given those two findings: 
- Would your daughter consider a non UK/Ireland programme? 
- Would your daughter consider an Interior Design degree (these are
easier to come by in distance learning)?

Request for Question Clarification by vitalmed-ga on 03 Aug 2003 07:34 PDT
Hello gerda578-ga,

I wish to let you know that I have found information concerning a
distance learning program in Architecture that is in the UK. It is the
Leeds Metropolitan University, School of Art, Architecture, and
Design. I wish to provide you the best information and have left
messages with Administration. I hope to hear back with confirmation
when their offices reopen tomorrow. Thank you for your patience.



Clarification of Question by gerda578-ga on 03 Aug 2003 17:37 PDT
My daughter already has a diploma in Interior Design.  She does not
care where the university is located as long as she can do the degree
or diploma by distance learning and the qualification is recognised in

Request for Question Clarification by vitalmed-ga on 03 Aug 2003 18:29 PDT
Hello gerda578-ga,

Following are some of the university-based distance learning programs.
I shall ascertain regarding their recognition in Israel.

Atlantic International University
818 Sheridan Street 200B
Honolulu, HI 96814 

Dalhousie University 
Faculty: Faculty of Architecture
H Building
5410 Spring Garden Road
Halifax,  Nova Scotia

University of Washington (a certificate program)



Clarification of Question by gerda578-ga on 03 Aug 2003 19:40 PDT
Thank you very much for your help.  Keep up the good work.

Request for Question Clarification by vitalmed-ga on 04 Aug 2003 12:05 PDT
Hello gerda578-ga,

First, thanks to politicalguru-ga for the points and informative

Among the programs that I listed, Atlantic International University is
the only one that has so far confirmed their distance learning degree
programs in Architecture.  Dalhousie and many other institutions
actually offer distance learning courses, but not degree programs in
general. The admissions office at Atlantic describes the accreditation
as "private", which is not the same as a government accreditation.
Nevertheless, the office states that graduates of its programs have
never been refused admission to professional licensing exams in
countries worldwide.

The nature of Atlantic's type of program seems important to realize. I
am told that the students in Atlantic's programs are responsible to
identify all of the curriculum and course requirements at any
university with a program in architecture, to obtain the recommended
textbooks, and for their own independent study of the materials.
Atlantic does not provide instruction but evaluates the student's
performance and attests to their completion of the requirements.

Atlantic's administration recommends that the student explain to the
Ministry of Labor and Welfare in Israel her intention to enroll in the
distance learning program of the various advantages for her. They
state that they have had at least one student in a civil engineering
program who was approved to take the licensing exam in Israel.
Licensure in Israel will also require experience working under
practicing professionals.

More information about Atlantic is at, which would be
advisable to read. I am not aware at this time of other potentially
suitable programs, but that is not to say that they do not exist.

Please let me know if you wish to leave this open for further research
or if you find this information helpful and what you had in mind.



Clarification of Question by gerda578-ga on 04 Aug 2003 15:20 PDT
You have certainly managed to dig deeply.  If you can come up with any
more information I would be grateful.

Request for Question Clarification by vitalmed-ga on 04 Aug 2003 18:54 PDT
Hello gerda578-ga,

Thank you. This is the best information I can provide after
considerable research. Please let me know if and when you feel it can
be closed.



Clarification of Question by gerda578-ga on 04 Aug 2003 22:15 PDT
Let's leave it open a bit longer in case you come across some more info.
Subject: Re: Architecture by correspondence
Answered By: vitalmed-ga on 14 Aug 2003 07:41 PDT
Hello gerda578-ga, 

Thank you again for your worthy question. Distance education is still
a budding industry with great potential for extending the reach of
institutions of learning. Architecture seems to be one of those fields
of study in which distance learning has not yet been fully developed,
even though individual courses can be found, typically for students
who are already registered in an on-site program. That may be because
of the challenge of providing remote access to studio and other
facilities, course materials, and the close guidance that is generally
perceived to be necessary for professional development.

As I described, Atlantic International University (AIC) is the only
one that
has asserted that it monitors and evaluates the students' progress and
provides certification of their fulfillment of the requirements for a
degree in architecture from a recognized institution of higher
education. The admissions director has said to me that they have had
students in Israel, at least in the field of civil engineering.
The contact information for AIC:
Atlantic International University s
818 Sheridan Street 200B 
Honolulu, HI 96814  

Telephone: 800-993-0066
Fax: 808-947-2488

Web site:

It is advised to be in touch and coordinate if possible with Ministry
of Labor and Social Affairs in Israel. I have taken the contact
information for you off of the web site,, which is in

The address is:
Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs
Sderot Yerushalayim 22
Jaffa, Israel 68022  
Telephone: 972-3-6816438 (03-6816438 in Israel).
Fax:       972-3-5125518 (03-5125518 in Israel).   

Director is Mrs. Edna Gross (03-5125518)
Associate Director is Mr. Meir Haramiti (03-5125517)  

I hope this information will be helpful to you, and best wishes for
your daughter in the pursuit of her career.

Best regards,

Subject: Re: Architecture by correspondence
From: politicalguru-ga on 04 Aug 2003 04:00 PDT
Certificate programmes would not assist with accreditation in Israel -
only B.Arch (or equivalent) graduates are entitled to register
themselves (and to practice) as architects in Israel:
"To register, you are required to hold an engineering or architectural
degree granted by an institution of higher education recognized as
such by the official body for recognizing institutions of higher
education in engineering and architecture in your own country.
Recognition applies both to the type of degree held and the standing
of the institution from which it was obtained"

"Engineers and Architects should include a copy of their registration
in the "Register of Architects and Engineers" ("Pinkas Ha'mehandesim
Ve'ha'adrichalim"). Registration is handled by the Ministry of Labor
and Welfare in Tel Aviv: Derech Petach Tikvah 86, Tel Aviv 67138, Tel:
03-5634171. " <>

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy