Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Paper--gray, non-photocopier ( Answered 4 out of 5 stars,   3 Comments )
Subject: Paper--gray, non-photocopier
Category: Reference, Education and News > Consumer Information
Asked by: werty-ga
List Price: $4.00
Posted: 07 Jun 2002 09:33 PDT
Expires: 14 Jun 2002 09:33 PDT
Question ID: 23595
What is the proper name of, and where can I find, the newsprint-like
paper that is used as scratch?

In grammar school kids were often given scratch paper for their math
homework--lightweight, light-gray (or slightly yellow) 8.5x11 sheets
of paper that felt like newspaper or recycled papers.  It was great
for working in pencil and carrying out math problems.

I want to buy some but I can't find it, and I don't know what it's
called, so I haven't had luck searching for it either.  It's
definitely *not* copier or printer paper; it's made for writing, but I
don't think it's really art paper either ("newsprint" in the art world
is usually heavy-duty paper in 50-sheet pads, not a stack of
individual sheets of paper).  I'd love to be pointed to an ecommerce
page where I can buy this paper, too.

Thanks in advance.
Subject: Re: Paper--gray, non-photocopier
Answered By: wengland-ga on 07 Jun 2002 11:13 PDT
Rated:4 out of 5 stars

You are referring to 'newsprint' and it is available from many larger
office supply stores.  It is generally recycled uncoated 30 pound bond
paper with low cotton content.  This makes it very inexpensive, and
also allows it to self destruct when touched by a pencil eraser.  :-)

It is available in many sizes and quatities from the Early Childhood
web store.  The exact URL is:

They have it in 500 packs for as little as $2.96, and sizes ranging
from 9x12 to 18x24 inches.

Search Terms Used:
school paper supply

Request for Answer Clarification by werty-ga on 07 Jun 2002 11:49 PDT
Great stuff.  You mention "many larger office supply stores"--do you
know where?  Staples and Office Depot only have the fancier art supply
kind.  (If I can't find it that way, your Early Childhood link should
do the trick.)

The other comments below are all educational and fascinating.  Thank
you all around!

Clarification of Answer by wengland-ga on 07 Jun 2002 12:40 PDT
Sorry, no.  I had found it in the past at Pierces Office Supply, but
they have gone out of business apparantly.

Looks like your best bet will be the online link.

Thanks for your question!
werty-ga rated this answer:4 out of 5 stars
Good, thorough research, although part of the answer ("many larger
office supply stores") is a little off.  I learned a lot and did find
out where to buy it, and fast!  Thanks!

Subject: Re: Paper--gray, non-photocopier
From: mvguy-ga on 07 Jun 2002 11:22 PDT
Some newspapers will give you or sell to you very cheaply their end
rolls.  When the newspaper is printed, it often makes more sense to
replace the huge rolls of paper (they look gigantic toilet paper
rolls) before they completely run out. The part that's left is known
as the end roll.  It's a great source of cheap paper if you're looking
to make banners or just want more paper than you'll ever know what to
do with.
Subject: Re: Paper--gray, non-photocopier
From: adamf-ga on 07 Jun 2002 11:23 PDT
I remember using paper like this when I was in grammar school.

It was recycled paper, but what made it different is that it was

Most recycled paper is bleached using dangerous chemicals like
chlorine to make it pure white.

There are many new techniques for bleaching recycled paper that do not
use dangerous chemicals such as chlorine.

More information about unbleached paper and safer bleaching methods
can be found at the 'Reach for Unbleached' foundation website:

Treecycle Recycled Paper sells a variety of recycled paper products
that are either unbleached or chlorine process free bleached paper.
From their website:

"Treecycle Recycled Paper - Provides quality, recycled paper which is
unbleached or process chlorine free, and high in post consumer waste
content. Office paper, tissue products, food service items, and much

Search keywords used: "unbleached recycled paper"

Hope this helps!
Subject: Re: Paper--gray, non-photocopier
From: emtavano-ga on 08 Jun 2002 00:45 PDT
Art supply stores carry newsprint in great quantities and many sizes,
for sketching.  That's a lot easier than hitting up a newspaper for

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy