Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Government of Canada Income Tax ( Answered 4 out of 5 stars,   0 Comments )
Subject: Government of Canada Income Tax
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: ladyboss900-ga
List Price: $5.00
Posted: 05 Aug 2003 10:43 PDT
Expires: 04 Sep 2003 10:43 PDT
Question ID: 240322
Is there still a deduction for Canadians who get married at the end of
a calendar year as opposed to the beginning of the year?
Subject: Re: Government of Canada Income Tax
Answered By: chromedome-ga on 05 Aug 2003 20:59 PDT
Rated:4 out of 5 stars
Hi, Ladyboss:

The website of the Canadian Customs and Revenue Agency says succinctly
that when you reach the "marital status" section of your return,
"Check the box that applied to your status on December 31, 2002."

Legal marriage is not required to qualify for this specific
non-refundable credit (strictly speaking, it's not a deduction).  The
same credit, colloquially referred to as "equivalent-to-married", is
available to common-law partners of the same or opposite sex provided
they meet one or more of the prerequisites listed in the income tax

This information may be verified by picking up a copy of the most
recent income tax guide from your local CCRA office, or by downloading
it in PDF (Adobe Acrobat) format from the CCRA's website:

Select the appropriate province, then click "guide", and on the next
page "General Income Tax and Benefit Guide".  Finally, click on the
large "NEXT" button on the bottom of the resulting page.  That's a lot
of steps, I know, but it is after all a government website (sorry,
couldn't resist).

Happy filing,

ladyboss900-ga rated this answer:4 out of 5 stars

There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy