Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: will of californian resident - getting copy of recent (1990s) ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   2 Comments )
Subject: will of californian resident - getting copy of recent (1990s)
Category: Relationships and Society
Asked by: lmo-ga
List Price: $10.00
Posted: 08 Aug 2003 04:15 PDT
Expires: 07 Sep 2003 04:15 PDT
Question ID: 241335
I am a UK resident.  How can I get a copy of a will of a california
resident who died about 1998?
Subject: Re: will of californian resident - getting copy of recent (1990s)
Answered By: missy-ga on 08 Aug 2003 08:04 PDT
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Good morning!

To obtain a copy of a will, you'll need to gather some information

-- decedent's name
-- date of death
-- city and county in which the death occurred
-- county in which the will has been probated (this is usually the
same as the county in which the death occurred, but not always).

Once you've gathered your information, you need to contact the Probate
Court in the county in which the will have been probated.  In
California, there are 58 counties, and all but two have websites:

California Counties' Websites

Select the county from which you need the will, and navigate to the
Probate Court section to obtain the court's address.  Each county will
have its own procedure for obtaining a copy.  Typically, requests must
be made in writing and must include the full name of the decedent, the
date of death, your full contact information, the reason you're asking
for a copy of the will, and a fee of between $5 and $15.

Most probate divisions also ask you to include a stamped, self
addressed envelope.  Since you'll be having the papers sent to the UK,
you'll want to use an international postal reply coupon, available
from your local post office.

If you know the city in which the death occurred, but not the county,
or if you simply find the county websites too confusing (some of them
are), please just ask for clarification, and tell me what city it is,
and I'll be glad to locate the address and procedure for you.

Hope this helps!


Search terms: [ probate court California counties ]
lmo-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars and gave an additional tip of: $2.00

Subject: Re: will of californian resident - getting copy of recent (1990s)
From: 4keith-ga on 08 Aug 2003 10:25 PDT

Please mention the name of the decedent and the city/state where he
died, so that we can focus in on the correct county and get you the
address and phone number of the county courthouse probate court you
will need to contact.  It is best not to send money in advance, but
rather call the courthouse in advance and ask the clerk how many pages
are in the file so that you will know the exact amount to send, or
perhaps someone here in the US could do it for you.

Subject: Re: will of californian resident - getting copy of recent (1990s)
From: lmo-ga on 09 Aug 2003 01:27 PDT
many thanks keith, i think i can sort it myself now

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy