Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Divorce ( Answered,   2 Comments )
Subject: Divorce
Category: Relationships and Society > Law
Asked by: 1952-ga
List Price: $2.00
Posted: 11 Aug 2003 17:46 PDT
Expires: 10 Sep 2003 17:46 PDT
Question ID: 242716
How many days does it take to get a divorce in Las Veges, NA if you
don't live there?

Request for Question Clarification by justaskscott-ga on 11 Aug 2003 18:20 PDT
I should emphasize the disclaimer at the bottom of this page, which
indicates that answers and comments on Google Answers are general
information, and not intended to substitute for informed professional
legal advice.  If you need such advice, you should contact a lawyer in
your state or in Nevada.  A Google Answers Researcher, as a layperson,
can only do general research on this topic, which you might then
discuss with a lawyer.

The information I have seen indicates that you do have to live in
Nevada for a particular number of weeks in order to get a divorce
there.  (It seems that there may be an exception if a county in Nevada
is your domicile and the reason for the divorce arose in that county
-- but I assume that you are not asking about that situation.)

Would this information be a sufficient answer?

Request for Question Clarification by mvguy-ga on 11 Aug 2003 21:57 PDT
First, do you mean Las Vegas, NV?

Second, there is more than one way to interpret your question.  Here
are three possibilities:
1) How long must you live there to file for divorce?
2) Once you file for divorce, how long does it take to get it
3) Once the divorce is approved, how soon does it go in effect?

Could you please clarify the intent of your question?

Subject: Re: Divorce
Answered By: tutuzdad-ga on 12 Aug 2003 06:36 PDT
Dear 1952-ga;

Thank you for allowing me an opportunity to answer your interesting

In most cases, in order to be eligible to file for divorce in Nevada,
either spouse must have been a resident of the State of Nevada for at
least six weeks before filing. The plaintiff must file the papers in
the county in which the defendant resides. If defendant lives outside
the State of Nevada then the plaintiff may file in any county he/she
designates in his/her complaint.

If you file a JOINT PETITION for divorce in the mainstream judicial
system and both parties agree to sign the decree, you can obtain a
divorce in a little as one week.

If you file a COMPLAINT FOR DIVORCE in the mainstream judicial system
and your estranged spouse ignores the summons, you can be granted a
divorce by default in as little as 21 days. (If you are filing a
Complaint for Divorce rather than Joint Petition, the person filing
must be the Nevada resident, unless Nevada is the last jurisdiction
where both of you lived together as husband and wife.)

If you obtain a SIMPLE DIVORCE through a Nevada Tribal Court there are
no residency requirements and you can obtain your divorce in a little
as 10 days.

I hope you find that that my research exceeds your expectations. If
you have any questions about my research please post a clarification
request prior to rating the answer. I welcome your rating and your
final comments and I look forward to working with you again in the
near future. Thank you for bringing your question to us.

Best regards;









Google ://



Subject: Re: Divorce
From: frog1-ga on 29 Aug 2004 15:11 PDT
Dear tutuzdad-ga,

Could you tell me how well recognized the simple divorce through a
nevada tribal court is?
Subject: Re: Divorce
From: tutuzdad-ga on 29 Aug 2004 16:14 PDT
Dear frog1-ga:

If you'd like to post a question of your own on Google Answers I'd be
happy to look into the issue for you.


Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy