Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: QUIXTAR.COM - Foreign student earning compensation ( Answered,   2 Comments )
Subject: QUIXTAR.COM - Foreign student earning compensation
Category: Business and Money > eCommerce
Asked by: jaykutttan-ga
List Price: $10.00
Posted: 13 Aug 2003 21:34 PDT
Expires: 12 Sep 2003 21:34 PDT
Question ID: 244549
Can a F-1 visa type (foreign student visa to study in university)
individual earn compensation for being a member and referring members
to - is it legal or illegal?
Subject: Re: QUIXTAR.COM - Foreign student earning compensation
Answered By: andrewxmp-ga on 13 Aug 2003 22:41 PDT
Hi jaykutttan,

The short answer is no, someone with an F-1 type visa may NOT legally
earn compensation from being a member of, or from any
other source for that matter.  This is regardless of if you are
fulfilling the other F-1 visa obligations, such as maintaining
full-time student status.  Here's why:

I found a number of policy outlines from a few differnt schools about
the employment options for students with this type of visa.  Examples

University of Pennsylvania
[ ]

Florida State University
[ ]

Foothill-de Anza Community College
[ ]

Each of these guideline websites say essentially the same thing, just
with the name of each school changed.  The only type of employment
allowed is that in which you are a) employed directly by the school
you are attending, or b) for curricular practical training approved by
the university.  I am assuming that whatever compensation you would be
earning via is not somehow training associated with your

The only exception I found was that listed by Florida State
University, stating that if the student is experiencing "unforseen
economic hardship", a formal appeal may be made to the school for the
right to be employed outside of the school.  If you would care to
specify which school you plan on attending, perhaps I could clarify
this further.  However, it appear that Quixtar is off-limits under the
standard rules of holding an F-1 visa.

I trust this has given you all the information you require; if not,
please request an answer clarification before rating this answer.  I
wish you good luck with your education in the US!  Thank you for
bringing your question to Google Answers!

Subject: Re: QUIXTAR.COM - Foreign student earning compensation
From: snsh-ga on 14 Aug 2003 04:23 PDT
On the other hand, Amway (and Quixtar) distributors usually call
themselves Indpendent Business Owners (IBO's).  They incorporate
themselves and the corporation, not the individual, handles the money.

At that point, if the corporation makes a profit, it can pay the
individual a salary, which is probably prevented by your visa.  But if
the corporation makes a loss (highly likely), it might not affect your

So why do it?  A lot of people like incorporating themselves so that
rather than write off expenses, the corporation pays expenses.  Say
you need to return to your home country.  You make it a business trip,
presenting the Quixtar business plan in your home country, and your
corporation pays for the travel.

But be careful -- there are rules to follow.  And getting in trouble
with IRS is at least as bad as getting in trouble with INS.
Subject: Re: QUIXTAR.COM - Foreign student earning compensation
From: stable-ga on 15 Jul 2004 08:51 PDT
hey guys,
         i went to discuss the matter with the office of international
affairs & nobody had any answer to this. The only thing they said was
" It's not mentioned that you can do it, but its not mentioned that
you cannot do it".
         Nowhere did i read anything like " You can work with XYZ foor
court"...obviously they would not say " You can work with Quixtar".
         I also read so many forums regarding these far
nobody has been questioned because he has been a part of Quixtar nor
has any person mentioned of any trouble he went through.
         I have been thinking whether to join or not for the last 1
month...I am definitely doing so now...i would be only stupid to miss
this brother is doing this & he is making $300.00 in
his 3rd he is my bro & he wont fool me...i am not even
joining in with him cause he is all far away in California...i am
joining in with my best friend here....GOOD LUCK guys.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy