Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Licensing A Garden Design Business? ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   0 Comments )
Subject: Licensing A Garden Design Business?
Category: Business and Money > Small Businesses
Asked by: nerv-ga
List Price: $10.00
Posted: 14 Aug 2003 09:40 PDT
Expires: 13 Sep 2003 09:40 PDT
Question ID: 244739
In the state of California, does one need a license of any kind to do
garden design and consultation, or can this be done without a license?
 No actual physical labor or ground breaking would take place. The
service would only provide design ideas and general garden info to the
consumer.  It would be a single person enterprise.

Request for Question Clarification by tutuzdad-ga on 14 Aug 2003 09:57 PDT
It may depend on where you are located/based (city and county).


Clarification of Question by nerv-ga on 14 Aug 2003 11:16 PDT
I live in Whittier, which is in Los Angeles County, CA.
Subject: Re: Licensing A Garden Design Business?
Answered By: directrix-ga on 14 Aug 2003 12:10 PDT
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
I contacted CalGOLD ( on your behalf, a
government website which provides information on all types of business
permits required in the State of California. Here was their response:

"You would need a basic city Business License, as well as, either a
Fictitious Name Filing from the Co. if you plan to use a name other
than your own for the business (i.e. Nerv's Lawn Design vs. Happy
People's Lawn Design), or you would need to file your Name (even if
it's your own) with the Secretary of State's office if you plan to be
anything other than a sole-proprietor (i.e. corporation, enterprise,
partnership, etc.)"

So yes, even though your business would be relatively small, you do in
fact need a license. To obtain a business license, you can contact:

Office of Business Licensing
13230 Penn Street
Whitter, CA 90602

This address was obtained from the link below. Where you can also view
other permits which don't necessarily apply to you at this point, but
will be a good thing to have a knowledge of if you ever decide to
expand your business.

As stated above, if you plan on using a name other than your own for
the business, you will need to do what is called a Fictitious Name
Filing. More information can be found here:

I hope this information is of help to you. Thanks for the question.

Search Strategy:

california business license
nerv-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars
Thanks for the answer directrix-ga.  It's just what I needed!  I
appreciate your help.

There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy