Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: earphone jac splitter ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   3 Comments )
Subject: earphone jac splitter
Category: Arts and Entertainment > Music
Asked by: capton-ga
List Price: $10.00
Posted: 08 Sep 2003 04:18 PDT
Expires: 08 Oct 2003 04:18 PDT
Question ID: 253417
I want to buy a connector/splitter for a 2.5 mm earphone jac so 2
people can listen to the same thing through one earphone jac.  I
envision it to have a standard 2.5 mm male end and then two 2.5 mm
female ends so 2 people can use earphones to listen to the same audio
from a machine with only one 2.5 mm earphone jac.  I will need to know
who to order from and they must be willing to ship to an APO address
as I am currently deployed in Southwest Asia in support of OPERATION

Request for Question Clarification by byrd-ga on 08 Sep 2003 08:41 PDT
Hi clapton-ga,

I'm pretty sure that what you want is available out there.  I've
emailed several sources on your behalf and am awaiting a reply. 
However, in the meantime could you clarify whether you're needing mono
or stereo jacks? It might also be helpful to know what type of device
you're wanting to connect to. Thanks.


Request for Question Clarification by byrd-ga on 08 Sep 2003 18:22 PDT
I guess I have to add the same question as edrox-ga asked in his
comment re: the size of the jack.  I did receive a reply from a
supplier, who says they definitely ship to APO addresses.  However,
all he has of the type of Y-splitter you're looking for is 3.5mm. 
Thanks for any more info you can provide.  I'd sure love to help you
find this.

Clarification of Question by capton-ga on 08 Sep 2003 23:30 PDT
Thank you for your interest.  Here's the deal.  I live in a tent with
7 other soldiers.  I have a small tv that has an earphone jac.  The
size of the earphone jac is the same as you would find on most
portable CD players or the plug in the sound card of a computer.  I
thought that was 2.5 mm but perhaps that is the size for a cell phone
which may be smaller.  I want to be able to share the TV/DVD
experience with a friend but don't want to disturb others who may be
trying to sleep.  I would prefer it be stereo for both, but I would
settle for mono as long as we could both listen to the same audio
using separate sets of earphones connected to one output jac on the
tv.  Sorry I wasn't clear before.  Hope this helps.

Clarification of Question by capton-ga on 09 Sep 2003 03:45 PDT
Thanks again for your input.  I am willing to concede that it is
probably a 3.5 mm jac so I will officially change that aspect of my
request.  Shall we procede to where I can order one (stereo preferred
but mono acceptable)keeping in mind they need to ship to an APO
address.  And I do appreciate your help.

Subject: Re: earphone jac splitter
Answered By: byrd-ga on 09 Sep 2003 13:30 PDT
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Hi clapton-ga,

With your clarification about the size of the plugs, I’m certain I’ve
been able to find several sources for what you need.  Several of these
have emailed me with confirmation that they DO ship to APO addresses. 
Their answers were prompt, friendly and helpful, so I’m sure if you
had any other question(s) about ordering, they’d be more than happy to
work with you.  Also, those who replied had the best prices – and
there’s quite a range!  I’ll list sources in order first, of those who
replied, then by price (cheapest first), followed by other sources I
found.  If I hear anything from any of them after posting this answer,
I’ll add the info in a clarification.

-- Okay, now after writing the above, I received a reply from a
company that told me the cable I was looking at, i.e. a stereo
y-splitter cable, would not work properly for your purpose.  He gave
me a link to an adaptor instead, and said that is what you needed.  So
I’m going to go ahead and give you that information first, and then
will post the others I have, with the caution that if you want to
order from any of them, you might need to inquire first as to whether
you’ll be getting the full sound or not.



Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 10:30 AM
Subject: RE: Audio Splitter

The product you are looking for is
The splitter you found is a stereo splitter, and used with two pairs
of headphones would only provide half the sound.
Best regards,"

Contact info:
Impact Acoustics by Cables To Go
1501 Webster St.
Dayton, OH 45404
Phone: 877-AV-EXPERT (877-283-9737)
Fax: 800-331-2841 

*Note:  If you choose to contact this company, send an email rather
than using the web form to place an order. This person asked me not to
post his name or identifying info, but if you email him at the address
given and let him know where you got it from, he’ll be expecting to
hear from you and says he'll be glad to help you out and there will be
no problem with shipping.


A Yahoo store.  Here’s their reply to my email asking if this,  ($.95) was the
right product for your need:

"From: ""   
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 10:56 AM
Subject: Re: Audio splitter

Yes. It's the right type. We ship to APO.

Contact info:
2440 Manhattan Beach Blvd
Gardena, CA 90249
Fax Number: 310-327-8774 



"From: "Digiconcepts"
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 8:44 AM
Subject: Re: Audio splitter

Check our link below to see if this is the cable you are looking for:  $1.75 each

Yes we do ship to APO addresses.
Michael  :)"

31564 Canyon View Drive
Lake Elsinore, CA 92532
Tel (Sales): (909)245-4125



 ----- Original Message ----- 
From: Mycableshop Sales 
Sent: Monday, September 08, 2003 8:17 PM
Subject: RE: Audio splitter
"Thanks for contacting us.  We definitely ship to APO addresses.   We
currently only carry 3.5mm adapters like the one you mention.   Here
is the link:   $4.00
If you have any other questions feel free to contact me.
Andrew Caky"
Mycableshop Inc.
American Website:
Canadian Website:
Toll Free: (866) 449 4498  (Extension 200)
Fax: (240) 757 7669 or (775) 924 2169
American Address: 60 Industrial Parkway, Unit #306 Cheektowaga, NY
Canadian Address: 1621 McEwen Drive, Unit #44, Whitby, Ontario,
Canada, L1N 9A5



*Note: Even though the email says they have the item, they didn’t
furnish a link or a price and I can’t find it in their online catalog.
 You’d likely have to contact them to get the price and other ordering
information such as part number, etc.

Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 9:22 AM
Subject: Re: Audio splitter

Thank you for your e-mail.    We carry a "Y" cord in the 3.5 mm stereo
plug.,  with two female 3.5 mm stereo jacks.    I'm not sure if this
same "Y" cord is made in the 2.5 mm Stereo or not.   We do not have
Yes, we can ship to an APO Military address, how ever all orders are
to be paid for by M/C or Visa , or prepay with a money order.
Good luck, 
73's  JILL”

Tower Electronics  (*Note: there is another Tower Electronics that
sells computer parts and has a different web address – be sure to use
this one for this company)

================================================================================ CORP.

This company appears to have the item you need.  Here’s a link showing
it at $10.00:  I’ve emailed, explaining
your needs and asking if this is the right part, but haven’t heard
back yet.

Also, this company’s policy on shipping states: 
“ We may accommodate customers who need to have an item shipped to an
APO/FPO address or PO Box depending on the circumstances.”

So the shipping isn’t a given.   I asked about that as well and, as
above, will let you know if/when I receive a reply.

Here’s their contact info:
1507 N. Milpitas Blvd.
Milpitas, CA 95035
Toll free: 888-455-7978
Phone: 408-228-5278
Fax: 408-228-5288

I hope this information is helpful to you in getting the
splitter/adaptor you need to let you and a friend share that tv.  I’m
sure your tent-mates will appreciate your thoughtfulness, and so will
you and the friend who get to enjoy the tv together!   If any of these
do not work out, or if you have any problems at all, don’t hesitate to
post a clarification request before rating and closing your question. 
I absolutely want to be sure you are able to get what you need.

Best and warmest wishes to you.  I’m very glad to have had this
opportunity to help you out in a small way and am hoping for a quick
and safe return for you and all your fellow soldiers.

Kindest regards,

Clarification of Answer by byrd-ga on 10 Sep 2003 07:59 PDT
Hi capton-ga,

I've heard back from another vendor, so as promised, here is the
additional source information:



Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 10:05 PM
Subject: Re: Audio Splitter

Yes you are correct, this is the cable:

We would ship this USPS global priority=> $6 

If you have any questions please e-mail.

Best regards,

138 Palm Coast Parkway NE - Suite 326
Palm Coast, FL. 32137
Tollfree 1-877-551-5623
Local 1-386-447-3893
Fax 1-386-447-0318 

capton-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars and gave an additional tip of: $5.00
My gratitude for the completeness and timeliness of the answer and the
genuine concern to help a deployed soldier find a little comfort in
his day.  God Bless America.

Subject: Re: earphone jac splitter
From: edrox-ga on 08 Sep 2003 18:10 PDT
Are you sure it is a 2.5mm?  Most standard headphones are either 3.5mm
or 1/4".  What is this on?  Do you need stereo or mono?
Subject: Re: earphone jac splitter
From: techtor-ga on 09 Sep 2003 02:14 PDT
I would agree that the TV Capton is using has a 3.5mm jack, since
2.5mm is definitely used in cellphones (for handsfree headsets). 3.5mm
is the jack size used for stereo media.
Subject: Re: earphone jac splitter
From: byrd-ga on 11 Sep 2003 06:08 PDT
Hello capton-ga,

Yes, I was very glad to have a chance to assist one of our soldiers,
even though in such a small way.  I hope this little adaptor piece
will indeed help you and a friend to find some enjoyment in your day. 
Please post another clarification should you have any problems at all.
 Your question will stay up for a few more weeks, so it won't cost you
anything additional.  Thank you very much for the five-star rating and
very generous tip! And thank you too for all you are doing for our

Kind regards,

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy