Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: divorce Procedure for non-resident Brazilian Couple ( Answered,   0 Comments )
Subject: divorce Procedure for non-resident Brazilian Couple
Category: Family and Home > Relationships
Asked by: sibee-ga
List Price: $50.00
Posted: 29 Sep 2003 18:31 PDT
Expires: 29 Oct 2003 17:31 PST
Question ID: 261397
What is the procedure for divorce for a Brazilian couple residing in
Kentucky for the past 2+ years, non US citizens, here on work VISAS,
parents to (2) US born children?  Can the couple file in KY or do they
have to return to Brazil and file?  How long will the process take?
Subject: Re: divorce Procedure for non-resident Brazilian Couple
Answered By: belindalevez-ga on 01 Oct 2003 00:27 PDT
<A divorce can be obtained in the U.S.A. In order for the divorce to
be valid in Brazil, you will need to get the divorce certificate
legalised by the Brazilian embassy. This can be done by post. You will
need to send the original divorce certificate to the consulate section
of the Brazilian embassy. It costs $20 to have the divorce certificate
validated and takes two days.

For further information contact:
Consular Service
3009 Whitehaven Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20008
Phone: (202) 238-2828
Fax: (202) 238-2818

Brazilian embassy in Washington.

Legalisation of documents.

Getting a divorce in Kentucky.
The amount of time taken to get the divorce will depend on whether or
not any of the issues are disputed. On average it takes from three to
fifteen months from the filing of the complaint.

You or your spouse need to have lived in Kentucky for at least 180
days prior to filing.

Grounds for divorce are No-Fault: Irretrievable breakdown of the
marriage. The spouses must have lived apart for 60 days. Living apart
includes living in the same house but not sharing sex. [Kentucky
Revised Statutes; Title 35, Chapter 403.170].

A step by step guide to divorce is given at

Finding a lawyer.
The Kentucky Bar Association has a searchable database of lawyers. In
the box marked section, scroll down to family law and then click on
search. You can also refine the search to find a lawyer in the county
or city where you live.
Search page

Kentucky bar association.


<Search strategy:>

<"brazilian embassy" "divorce">

<brazil  "foreign divorce">

<"brazilian embassy" Washington>

<divorce Kentucky>

<Hope this helps.>
There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy