Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: What is needed for my Record Player AKAI AP-A510 SONY turntable ( Answered,   0 Comments )
Subject: What is needed for my Record Player AKAI AP-A510 SONY turntable
Category: Arts and Entertainment > Music
Asked by: ultimate_silly-ga
List Price: $10.00
Posted: 23 Nov 2003 12:37 PST
Expires: 23 Dec 2003 12:37 PST
Question ID: 279737
I own a AKAI - AP-A510 Record player.  I bought it at a garage sale...
well, I didn't realize that it didn't come with a power cord or
anything.  So, my question is what do I need to get my record player
working?  Do I need a pre-amplifier, amplifier, power cord, speakers? 
 Right now all I have is the player itself.

THe only info I have on the player is that it's an AKAI AP-A510 model.
 Also, the back says DC 13V - 20mA and there is a cord sticking out
the back for this.  ALso, there looks to be two (white and red) rca
cables (presumably for speakers or amplifier?).

How much is a SONY SQP-400a turntable(record player) worth?  This is a
4 channel stereo music system.  With a record player and a radio with
the four original speakers.


Clarification of Question by ultimate_silly-ga on 23 Nov 2003 12:40 PST
Also, where would I find the required equipment to get the AKAI model
working?  and approximate cost of items.  Thanks.
Subject: Re: What is needed for my Record Player AKAI AP-A510 SONY turntable
Answered By: omniscientbeing-ga on 24 Nov 2003 16:57 PST
Hi ultimate_silly-ga,

Okay, there are three things to do (or at least verify) to get your
record player (RP) working.

1) You're going to need to first make sure the power source is working
(that it can turn on and spin).

You mention that "the back says DC 13V - 20mA and there is a cord sticking out
the back for this."

This cord is indeed the unit's power cord, and you will need to plug
it in to the wall. If it's not a normal 2 or 3 pronged plu that you
plu into the wall, but just a round tubular plug that looks like it
plugs into somehting else--then you'll need to get what's known as a
"power adapter." These are the square "plugs" that are usually black
(but sometimes white) that have 2 or 3 prongs that they plug into the
wall with. You can get these at Radio Shack or similar stores. Make
sure it's rated for "13 V," since that's what your RP is rated for.
Some power adaoters have multiple ratings with a switch setting, so
you can set it to 9V or 12 V or 13V, depending on what device your
using, but in my experience it's better to go with a transformer
that's made precisely for a particular voltage (they last longer).
Here?s a link to a picture of what I?m  referring to (scroll down to
the bottom of the page):

If this doesn?t sound right, don?t worry. If you just bring the RP
into a Radio Shack and show an employee there your cord that comes out
of the back, they will be able to tell you instantly what type of cord
or adapter you need for it.

To confirm that your power supply is working, even though the RP is
not connected to a mixer or any speakers, you should still be able to
turn the unit on, and get the platter to spin. Also, and lights on the
display should light up. If it doesn?t turn on like this, then there?s
no point in proceeding to steps 2 and 3 below.

2) After you?ve got the power working, you?re probably thinking,
?Great, my record?s spinning but I can?t hear anything!? That?s where
speakers come in. You have to connect the RP to speakers before you
can hear anything out of it (unless it has it?s own headphone jack, in
which case you could hear it by plugging in a pair of headphones, but
I?m sure you want it to play out loud).

You mention that ?ALso, there looks to be two (white and red) rca
cables (presumably for speakers or amplifier?). These red & white RCA
cables are indeed your speaker cables. You need sime type of speakers
or an amplifier to plug them into. Your home stereo or ?boombox? type
of system will probably work fine?check to see if it has RCA jacks on
the back. If you have a regular amplifier (like for a guitar) that has
quarter-inch instrument cable jacks but no RCA?you can get an adapter
from RCA-to-1/4 jack) from RadioShack.

A ?mixer? is optional. If you have 2 turntables, you can use the mixer
to connect them both, and be able to adjust them both from the one
mixer unit.

3) Make sure that the needle (known formally as a ?stylus?) is still
good before you try it on any of your favorite records. If you got the
RP used there?s a good chance it has an old, worn needle and needs to
be replaced. The following website looks like it carries the needle
for your model:

After you power up the RP, connect the speakers and have a good needle
on the arm, you?re ready to rock!


I?m sorry but I doubt this SONY SQP-400a turntable is worth more than
fifty bucks, tops. Perhaps you could use its speakers for your other
RP system?

Google search strategy:


?AKAI - AP-A510 Record player?:

Good luck with your sound system!


Google Answers Researcher
There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy