Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: EDUCATION In UK ( Answered 2 out of 5 stars,   2 Comments )
Category: Reference, Education and News
Asked by: marknove-ga
List Price: $4.00
Posted: 17 Jun 2002 22:15 PDT
Expires: 24 Jun 2002 22:15 PDT
Question ID: 28294
I applied for a Master degree in one of the respectable UK
universities. Due to certain financial difficulties from the beginning
I told them about my financial situation. They asked me to enroll
without even an interview. After few months the finance department
started to ask for the tuition fees. Because I don't have the money I
decided to leave the course. But they are raising the issue to a
collection agency and threatening my credit file for a payment of
about 8500, Although I did attend only 2 out of 3 semesters of the
first year. Is there any student tribunal or High education body that
I can reach to help me? Considering that I am no longer in UK?
Subject: Re: EDUCATION In UK
Answered By: jeremymiles-ga on 18 Jun 2002 11:55 PDT
Rated:2 out of 5 stars
I have searched the archives of the Times Higher Educational
Supplement, - you need to be a subscriber to the
newspaper to do this), and not found reference to such a case.
However, every university in the UK has a formal complaints system -
adjudicated by an independent person, called that university's
visitor.  (This is frequently the Queen - although she doesn't do it,
she appoints someone else.)  You should explore this route.  There are
lawyers who specialise in educational cases, and you could explore
this, although I suspect that this would not be financially viable in
your case.
To try to help you - look at it from the perspective of the university
- you said you were going to pay to attend a course - essentially
paying for a service.  When you didn't pay voluntarily, after a little
while the university asked you for the money.  As far as they are
concerned, you have taken a service, which you owe them money for. 
You are therefore going to have to make a case to explain why you are
not going to pay - and not just that you stopped attending.  I would
also try to find out what you have signed - if you didn't sign
anything that said you were going to pay for the course, then you are
standing on firmer ground.  If you did, and said that you had the
means to support yourself and pay your fees, then the ground looks a
little shakier.
However, you are in the US, which makes you difficult to chase, and
they don't want to look bad, which might discourage them, at least a
The NUS ( might help you out, at least by pointing you
in the correct direction, in addition, the student support services at
the university may be able to help - they might be able to put your
case more persuasively, and gain access to people higher in the
pecking order at the unversity.

I hope this has been at least of some assistance,


Clarification of Answer by jeremymiles-ga on 04 Jul 2002 06:08 PDT
Sorry you didn't appreciate the answer I gave.  I am fairly sure that
the short answer to your question is 'no'.  You could reject the
question, and request a reposting if you believe that another
researcher can find you a better answer.
Alternatively I could probably find solicitors who specialise in
education issues.

marknove-ga rated this answer:2 out of 5 stars

Subject: Re: EDUCATION In UK
From: leli-ga on 18 Jun 2002 01:21 PDT
You might get advice from the NUS - National Union of Students - at  Hope they can help you.
Subject: Re: EDUCATION In UK
From: pagal-ga on 12 Jul 2002 08:57 PDT
You need to talk to the Board of education of UK or School's Dean or
president i donnot know what college it is so i can't give you the

Hope it helps!!

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy