Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: population control ( Answered,   0 Comments )
Subject: population control
Category: Family and Home > Families
Asked by: dumbie-ga
List Price: $2.00
Posted: 11 Dec 2003 19:50 PST
Expires: 10 Jan 2004 19:50 PST
Question ID: 286242
What country has made it illegal for a married couple to have more than one child?
Subject: Re: population control
Answered By: bobbie7-ga on 11 Dec 2003 20:17 PST
What country has made it illegal for a married couple to have more than one child?

The country you?re asking about is China.

In 1979 the Chinese government implemented a policy known today as the
one-child policy.

?The 'one child' policy stipulates each couple living in the cities
should only have one child, unless one or both of the couple are from
an ethnic minority or they are both only children.?

?In most rural areas, a couple may have a second child after a break
of several years.?


?The one-child policy was introduced to ensure that China, which has
historically been prone to floods and famine, could feed all its

BBC News

Here are some articles where you may read more about China's one child
family policy:

China's one child family policy.(Statistical Data Included)
British Medical Journal, Oct 9, 1999, by Ching Y Choi, Penny Kane

China may ease one-child policy after 2010.
Asian Economic News, Nov 13, 2000

China moves to change policy on child quotas.
British Medical Journal, March 28, 1998, by Doug Payne

Search Criteria:
China ?one child? 

I hope you find this helpful! If anything is unclear with my answer,
please ask for clarification.

Best regards,
There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy