Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: 45-RPM Record Adapter ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   1 Comment )
Subject: 45-RPM Record Adapter
Category: Arts and Entertainment > Music
Asked by: psimon-ga
List Price: $10.00
Posted: 14 Jan 2004 17:06 PST
Expires: 13 Feb 2004 17:06 PST
Question ID: 296599
What is the proper name for the 45 RPM record insert that lets the record be
played on an auto-drop 33 RPM spindle record player?
Subject: Re: 45-RPM Record Adapter
Answered By: pinkfreud-ga on 14 Jan 2004 17:54 PST
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
I'm giving my age away, but I used to have hundreds of 45 rpm records,
and an equal number of those little gizmos that fit inside the hole of
the 45! When I was growing up in the southern U.S. in the 1950s, my
friends and I used to call these devices "spiders." When I was in
college in the 1960s, we called them "Triskelions," after an episode
of "Star Trek" which featured a design that resembled the little
plastic thingies.

In case you're curious, this is a Triskelion, as shown in "Star Trek":

Star Trek Dimension: The Gamesters of Triskelion

And, for the very young, here is an image of the 45 rpm hole-filler in question:

Turntable Basics

On the Web you'll see these doohickeys called by many different names:
"45 inserts," "45 adapters," "spacer disks,"  "45 single adapters,"
"45 rpm record inserts," and on and on.

This comes from a site called, a great place to buy vinyl 45s:

"Q.    What is the little plastic insert called that goes in the
middle of a 45-rpm record so it will play on a turntable?
 A.    It's called a 45-rpm adapter.  (This is the question we are
asked more than any other.)"

If says so, I think that's definitive. My final answer: 45-rpm adapter.

Incidentally, you can still buy the little yellow plastic whatsits.
They cost $4.75 for a set of 25:

Baby Boomer Headquarters

Or, for $299.95, you can get a 45 rpm adapter made of 14 karat gold:

The Hackensack Record King: 45 RPM Adapter Pendant

It should be noted that there was a different type of device which
went on the record changer's spindle rather than in the hole of the
record. This was called a "45 rpm automatic spindle adaptor." Here's
an image that shows a collection of these. And, in the lower right
corner, of the image... the ubiquitous 45 rpm adapters, here called
"plastic adapters."


Google search strategy:

Google Web Search: "45 rpm" +  "insert OR adapter OR adaptor"

Thanks for a fun question! If anything is unclear, or if a link
doesn't function, please request clarification; I'll be glad to offer
further assistance before you rate my answer.

Best regards,
psimon-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars and gave an additional tip of: $2.00
Not exactly what I was hoping to find but a very well researched and
complete answer. I guess my mind is not as sharp as it used to be.

Subject: Re: 45-RPM Record Adapter
From: pinkfreud-ga on 14 Jan 2004 20:25 PST
Thank you very much for the five-star rating and the tip!

On the matter of minds being less sharp than they used to be (and I'm
certainly aware of that problem!), my late father-in-law used to say
"My mind may not be as sharp as it once was, but it's well-padded and
more comfortable." ;-)


Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy