I found one site that seems comprehensive in answering your question
on the basics of glass beveling, and it's the first one listed below.
In addtion, I included some other sites that talk about glass
beveling, although in a much briefer manner. After that comes a list
of references for equipment and supply. I suppose they'll be of help
to you in getting equipment. The last would be a list of miscellaneous
links, most of which relate to the glass industry.
Sorry I haven't found much on environmental or safety issues, since I
doubt there is much in glass that provokes an outcry from
environmentalists compared to automobile smoke and garbage. I guess
the primary concerns would be safety on glass itself. Glass dust
getting into eyes and respiratory system (wear mask and goggles),
glass dust getting into sewers (though I doubt there is much harm from
this), watching out for sharp edges and parts of glass, etc. I will
just include some safety rules when I find them. I guess the first
link I mentioned already has most of the important safety tips.
Glass beveling process:
Studio Beveling System Manual - Glastar: glassworking products for art
glass and stained glass
- Describes the process for beveling glass, and the equipment you may
need. I believe this is comprehensive enough for your needs.
Covington Engineering - introduction to glass beveling
- Very short article explaining glass beveling.
Japanese website - description of beveling glass
ATM beveling glass
Glastar glass equipment products
Glass Global - Equipment offered
- Equipment for sale or for trade, I believe.
Glass Division - page showing glassmaking equipment
- Some examples of equipment, like a bevelling machine, are shown here.
Inland Beveling Kit
- Product meant which is an add-on for another product to enable beveling.
Art Glass Beveling in House of Glass --- Equipment Directory
- A possible source for getting glass equipment.
Glass - Supplies and Equipment - Real Home Guide
- ANother possible source for some equipment.
Delphi - 45 Degree Mika Elite Beveling Bit
- A piece of equipment that you might need.
Delphi - Bevel Max Beveling System
- Looks like a starter kit for bevelers.
Denver Glass - Cold Glass Wet Grinding and Cutting Equipment
- One company's examples of glassworking equipment.
Glass Industry Machinery Suppliers On-Line
Press Release on a new glassmaking technology
673.686-010 - BEVELING-AND-EDGING-MACHINE-OPERATOR HELPER (glass mfg.;
glass products) - DOT Dictionary of Occupational Titles Job
Newport Glass Works, Ltd. - Art & general glass fabrication books
- Books about glass beveling.
The Art of Beveling by Tom Ryan (anecdotal article)
- A description of a simple beveling procedure for astronomical uses.
Glass Industry Info - beveling
- An industry resource. Lists companies related to the glass beveling
business and other glassworking companies.
The International Guild Of Glass Artists
- Probably an organization you might deal with when you set up your
glass beveling business.
Beveled Glass For The Stained Glass Trade
- Might be an example of competition.
Art Glass Equipment Links
- List of other suppliers related to art glass, which you could be a
supplier of, if you choose.
The Most Influential Companies in the Glass and Metal Industry
by Tara Taffera
- An article that may be of interest.
Update: Blood Lead Levels, 1991-1994
- Here's a rather old article mentioning lead problems, though it
doesn't blame glass or glass industries at all for it. It was
mentioned in a glass industry publication, so I included it.
Google search terms used:
beveling glass machine
beveling glass equipment
beveling glass environment safety
I hope this has been a most helpful answer. If you need anything else,
or have a problem with the answer, do please post a Request for
Clarification before rating and I shall respond as soon as I can.