Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: In desperate Need of alternatives ( No Answer,   2 Comments )
Subject: In desperate Need of alternatives
Category: Family and Home > Relationships
Asked by: paledreams-ga
List Price: $5.00
Posted: 28 Mar 2004 11:49 PST
Expires: 27 Apr 2004 12:49 PDT
Question ID: 321305
I have a very serious, possibly life changing U.S. federal sentencing
coming up for me soon & I'm very nervous about what my fate will be.
Under the guidelines I could get 10-16 months in prison, but since it
is at the lower end of the guidelines being my first offense, the
judge can impose a split sentence. My attorney has sent a great deal
to the judge to argue for departure from the guidelines about my
mental illness & my very introverted nature--being unable to cope with
big life changes that the judge might impose. My psychotherapist did a
written test on my brain that stated I had 135% limbic activity, while
only 11% external. My attorney has briefly outlined a few plans for
departure to me: psychiatric & psychological treatment, vocational
counseling, & transitional housing.

Does transitional housing or another similar program (and what are
they?) that a judge would likely consider allow the use of bringing my
own computer with my own unshared Internet access phone line or cable
connection with it? And what restrictions of use would there be using
my computer? What programs would I be required or likely to adhere to,
& how much time would they consume during the day? Would it be likely
I had a roommate with no privacy or way of protecting my personal
belongings? This is very important to me as much of my social life is
with the computer & I have a website which I'm attempting to earn some
money from. I'm an incredibly private & very sensitive person who
needs their own space (esp. my own room).

I also would greatly appreciate any feedback of other alternatives for
departure that would allow me greater freedom -like some form of
online counseling that would likely be considered by a judge, as
previous traditional psychological counseling brought back many bad
memories & just made me more depressed ("in-person" verbal counseling
was traumatizing for me). I can express myself much better thru
writing in my own private space where I have time to reflect on what I
really feel.(Partly due to my mental illness, ADHD & anxiety issues)

Psychiatric treatment is another thing I have huge issues with that
the judge might impose upon me. I wish there was a way I could
convince the judge of allowing me to use an alternative treatment
program that is much safer & may have much better long term
improvements -such as (CBT) Cognitive Behavioral Therapy or (EFT)
Emotional Freedom Technique.  I realize that there might be a chance
some medication would work for me, but it hasn't been my experience
with them, nor my sister's who has the same mental illness & has been
on various medications over the years that were ineffective (unless
you consider her constant muscle tremors & fatigue!). She has now been
off of them for a few months and I notice her mood has improved a lot
-she smiles & laughs more, her mind is more active, & she has no
muscle tremors! This was quite the same for me, when I felt GREAT
relief weaning myself off the drug that almost killed me.
Geodon/Ziprasidone (I had my uncle call 911 because I felt like I was
going to have a heart attack one time). The bottom line is if the
doctor cannot predict the individual responses of a drug of an
individual, & a drug has a risk as great as DEATH (which I had) it's
NEVER worth it to try.

I would be esp. interested in radically new/exciting programs that are
very flexible (preferably in a online environment) & not like
traditional treatments that are often times ineffective that the judge
*might* be open to.

I immensely appreciate any thoughtful reply & links of interest (or
even a quick key note if you don't have much time) because I really
need it now more then anytime in my life!

Warmest regards,

Clarification of Question by paledreams-ga on 28 Mar 2004 12:03 PST
Here's a quick outline/checklist so you don't have to re-read thru
some of the unnecessary stuff :O)

Alternative proposals to judge:
Must be in Minnesota

A. judge would *likely* consider (considering my mental illness &
family dependency)

B. least restrictive environment (esp. online environments that don't
require transportation)

C. works better then traditional treatment programs

D. if it's some sort of Housing/living residence, do they allow:

D.1 VERY IMPORTANT to me: My own Computer+Internet (cable or separate
phone?) access WITHOUT Monitoring; at least 3 hours of allowed access

D.2 Roommate likely?
D.3 Privacy & security of belongings?


Outlined proposals by attorney (alternatives??):

1. Psychiatric/psychological treatment (better natural alteratives
like naturopaths or Cognitive Behavioral Therapy?)

2. Vocational counseling
3. Transitional Housing

Many thanks!
There is no answer at this time.

Subject: Re: In desperate Need of alternatives
From: natewatt-ga on 25 Jun 2004 16:17 PDT
It truly depends on the nature of your crime. I doubt without that
information anyone is going to be able to offer good advice.
Subject: Re: In desperate Need of alternatives
From: vexednyc-ga on 13 Mar 2005 18:33 PST
Just a clarification.  Ziprasidone is an atypical neuroleptic, not a tricyclic.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy