Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Incorporation ( Answered 1 out of 5 stars,   1 Comment )
Subject: Incorporation
Category: Business and Money > Small Businesses
Asked by: qdaddy-ga
List Price: $2.00
Posted: 25 Jun 2002 10:04 PDT
Expires: 25 Jul 2002 10:04 PDT
Question ID: 32963
Where can a good, REPUTABLE website, where I can incorporate my business, be found?
Subject: Re: Incorporation
Answered By: weisstho-ga on 25 Jun 2002 12:11 PDT
Rated:1 out of 5 stars
Hello qdaddy, and thanks for visiting us.

1.  The act of granting corporation status (Inc., Corp., Corporation,
Incorporated, etc.) or limited liability company status (L.L.C.) is
strictly a function of your state's government. There are companies
that will facilitate this process which is particularly useful when
forming an entity in another state (for example, where a New Mexico
company wants to incorporate in Delaware).

2.  The state agency that typically handles the formation of entities
is the Secretary of State. I would suggest that you go to Google
Search and type in the following:  "Secretary of State" [name of your
So, for example, for Illinois, I would type into the search term box
"Secretary of State" Illinois

2A.  If the search for Secretary of State doesn’t pan out with the
information on forming companies, try the search term:  “Department of
Commerce” [name of your state]

Here, for example is the site for California:

3.  Most state sites have the forms available for download right on
the site. Just print them off and fill them out. The actual act of
incorporating is very simple - just a few questions. What the name of
the entity will be, who the incorporators are, how many shares of
stock are going to be authorized, addresses, and purpose of the

4.  The state will charge a fee, usually (not always) around $100 for
filing the paperwork. They will probably send a certificate of
incorporation back to you.

5.  USE OF EXPERTS - ACCOUNTANT:  If possible, it is a good idea to
use the services of an accountant to assist in the set-up of a new
entity since they are uniquely equiped and positioned to assist in
getting the various tax and other governmental registrations that are
required.  Also, they know the rules for taking money out of a
corporate entity, which though not super complex, are important. 
Also, they can advise as to whether subchapter S status is

6.  USE OF EXPERTS - ATTORNEY:  Many attorneys will handle the
formation for you - they have it down to a science. Call a couple up
and ask what they charge to set up a corporation. It shouldn't be, in
most cases, more than $500. This will help ensure that it is done
properly. It is critically important that the corporation not only be
set up properly, but also maintained on an ongoing basis properly so
that if you need the protection that a corporation shield provides it
will be there for you.

7.  There are a whole host of service providers out there who will set
up a corporation or LLC for you, if you would rather not use the local
attorney resources: ://

8.  Here is a great website maintained by the United States Small
Business Administration – I think you will find this very useful:

Good luck on your venture!

Clarification of Answer by weisstho-ga on 26 Jun 2002 14:11 PDT
Could you please tell me what state you are located so that I can elaborate?


qdaddy-ga rated this answer:1 out of 5 stars
Not happy with the response. The operative or keyword in my question
(the one capitalized) was REPUTABLE. I ca

Subject: Re: Incorporation
From: garybrooks-ga on 26 Jun 2002 16:44 PDT
I think you were looking for a wesite. 
I Inc.  with a company online and they did a very good job.  I think it came to around $300.OO with my corp
book and printed stock papers.   Im sure you will be happy with there
services.  You can even call and do it over the phone if you have

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy