Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: technical term ( Answered,   3 Comments )
Subject: technical term
Category: Computers > Operating Systems
Asked by: mldodd-ga
List Price: $2.00
Posted: 22 Apr 2004 07:02 PDT
Expires: 22 May 2004 07:02 PDT
Question ID: 334290
what is ciceroulwnd frame?
Subject: Re: technical term
Answered By: eiffel-ga on 22 Apr 2004 08:29 PDT
Hi mldodd,

CiceroUIWndFrame is the programmer's name for one component of the
"Speech and Handwriting Recognition" part of Office XP from Microsoft.

A web search shows that this term is often reported in error messages
which appear when users are trying to shut down Outlook, other
applications or Windows XP itself.

"Recently, my system has been crashing more often, due to a process or
program "CiceroUIWndFrame." I found out that this is the "Speech and
Handwriting Recognition" part of Office XP. To de-install it, go to
"Control Panel" "Add/Remove Programs" "Microsoft Office," click on the
"Change" button
browse to "Office Shared Features," "Alternative User Input," and
select for Speech and Handwriting Recognition (both) "Not available"
from the drop-down box. Perform the change and the CiceroUIWndFrame
messages disappear.  Took just a second, and you don't even have to
restart your system or insert the XP Office CD."

Remove CiceroUIWndFrame to avoid crashes

Additional Links:

CiceroUIWndFrame won't close

CiceroUIWndFrame not responding error message

What if I get the message "CiceroUIWndFrame TILA.EXE Application Error"

Google Search Strategy:

ciceroulwnd frame

This yielded no results, so I tried the search at Google Groups which
yielded one result:

That gave me enough clues to start looking further using Google Web Search:

"application error" cicero

frame "application error" "instruction at"

hwnd frame

cicero "outlook express"

Then it occurred to me that "UI" is programmer-speak for "User
Interface" and that the search term was likely misspelled. Fixing this
took me to some useful results:


Subject: Re: technical term
From: tutuzdad-ga on 22 Apr 2004 07:23 PDT
It appears to be a type of frame whose formal name is misspelled.

Subject: Re: technical term
From: tutuzdad-ga on 22 Apr 2004 09:31 PDT
Good answer. Now if you will excuse me I'll go wipe the egg of my face.   :)

Subject: Re: technical term
From: riskey-ga on 01 Apr 2005 16:47 PST
This file, "CiceroUIWndFrame" had been annoying me off and on for
almost a year. Apparently it exists in Office XP, Office 2003, and
even Works! You need to completely disable the "Advanced text
services" in Works as well as the suggested fixes above for Office.
Why MS doesn't fix this issue is another question!

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy