Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Searching for Journal/Book References ( Answered 4 out of 5 stars,   1 Comment )
Subject: Searching for Journal/Book References
Category: Reference, Education and News > Teaching and Research
Asked by: susanam-ga
List Price: $3.00
Posted: 24 Apr 2004 17:58 PDT
Expires: 24 May 2004 17:58 PDT
Question ID: 335674
How can I find if someone has referenced my work in a publication
(book or journal article)?

Request for Question Clarification by luciaphile-ga on 24 Apr 2004 18:15 PDT
Citation in journals are probably easier to locate than cites in
books. Are we talking general periodicals or academic journals?


Clarification of Question by susanam-ga on 24 Apr 2004 19:06 PDT
Most likely academic. The topic is technology and pedagogy. I have
been told that my work was referenced in a book chapter and I found a
reference in an article online. It makes me wonder where else it has
been referenced -- and I have no idea how to go about searching for
that. Thanks.

Request for Question Clarification by luciaphile-ga on 25 Apr 2004 06:45 PDT
There is a particular subscription product that I can point you to and
provide instructions on using that would answer your question
regarding most peer-reviewed academic journals. Because of the fact
that it is a subscription product you would actually need to be the
person to use it to locate anyone who's cited your work.

As for books, I'm not aware of a tool out there that does the same thing. 

Let me know if the above is satisfactory and I'll go ahead and post an answer. 


Clarification of Question by susanam-ga on 25 Apr 2004 14:23 PDT
Yes thanks. Too bad about the book search. I should think a product
would have been developed for that. Thanks for your help.
Subject: Re: Searching for Journal/Book References
Answered By: luciaphile-ga on 25 Apr 2004 15:25 PDT
Rated:4 out of 5 stars
Hi susanam-ga,

Thanks for your question.

The best way to determine if your work has been cited in other
academic journal articles is to use a citation index. A citation index
is a way of tracking cites. Who a particular author cited in his or
her article, and who in turn cited that particular author. In another
words, it makes it possible to go backward and forward.

In the past these were books that came out every year. I'm assuming
your work is of relatively recent origin, so what you want to use is a
database called "Web of Science."

The best route will be through an academic library--universities, in
particular, should have this database. Web of Science covers the

Arts and Humanities Citation Index
Social Sciences Citation Index
Sciences Citation Index

Given your topic, it's probably a reasonable guess that whoever cited
your work would be using the Social Sciences version, but it's
possible to use all three at once in Web of Science.

Web of Science 

There are a couple of types of searches you can do in the database,
but given your need, a full search and then a cited reference search,
is probably your best option.

Although you will certainly have all of the pertinent details
(author--your name, journal name, volume, year, etc.) to do this
search, you may want to give less rather than more information. For

Author: If your last name is Mary E. Brown, you could put in: Brown ME
in the author field. However, since it's possible the index has you
down just as Mary Brown, a better choice might be: Brown M*  (The
asterisk will capture all the possible permutations of your name)

Journal: Use the format from their list of journals--click on the
"list" to get the appropriate abbreviation.

Year: You can either put in the exact year (e.g. 2000) or if you're
not sure you could put 1999 OR 2000 OR 2001. If your name isn't
common, you could also try doing the search without the year.

More detailed instructions are available here:

Cited Reference Search

Once you get to the right record, you should be able to click on it.
Cited References means the works the author cited. Times cited means
who has cited the author in subsequent works.

This is not going to be totally comprehensive and it won't cover
popular periodicals, but they seldom include bibliographies anyway.
It's the best means out there to find out who's cited your work. Web
of Science may have some books included, but the bulk of this will be
journal articles. Another tactic would be to go to some full text
databases for your field and run a search on part of the title of your
article or on your name, but I really think Web of Science is the best
first step.

citation index
cited reference search
Web of Science
personal knowledge of the field.

I hope this answers your question. If you need further information,
just ask for clarification and I'll do my best to assist you.

susanam-ga rated this answer:4 out of 5 stars

Subject: Re: Searching for Journal/Book References
From: pinkfreud-ga on 24 Apr 2004 18:02 PDT
You might try searching for your name using Ingenta, which indexes
many academic and professional publications:

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy