Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: phlebotomy licensure or certification ( Answered,   1 Comment )
Subject: phlebotomy licensure or certification
Category: Reference, Education and News > Job and Careers
Asked by: catali-ga
List Price: $2.00
Posted: 29 Apr 2004 07:34 PDT
Expires: 29 May 2004 07:34 PDT
Question ID: 338208
What states require phlebotomy licensure or certification for practice?
Subject: Re: phlebotomy licensure or certification
Answered By: nenna-ga on 29 Apr 2004 11:53 PDT

It would seem that almost every state has it's own rules, and they
seem to change a bit. Every website I found recomended checking with
your (or the state you want to know about) Board of Health for your
specific state requirements.
So, do a google search at this URL, and when it comes up, just type
your state name  in as the first word. You'll find their phone # on
the website, usually on the "contact us" page.
Google search for _______ state board of health

I found this out from

Phlebotomy technicians (also known as phlebotomists) are integral
members of the medical laboratory team, and have as their primary
responsibility the collection of blood samples from patients through
the use of venipuncture or micro-techniques. They facilitate both the
collection and transportation of blood samples, and are often a
patient?s only contact with the work of the medical laboratory. 
Consequently, the need to assure patient safety and provide quality
service require that phlebotomists adhere to strict standards of
professional behavior and practice.


Phlebotomy technicians generally are required to have some specialized
postsecondary training in proper blood sampling techniques and data
collection as well as some actual practical experience in drawing
blood and properly handling laboratory specimens.


U.S. Department of Labor information indicates that some States
require laboratory personal, including phlebotomy technicians, to be
licensed or registered.  Such specific State requirements are
available from State departments of health and/or boards of
occupational licensing.


Certification is a voluntary process by which a non-governmental
organization, such as a professional society, trade association, or
certifying agency, provides recognition to ? and benchmarks the
knowledge and skills of ? an individual whose occupational or
professional competence meets prescribed standards.  Certification is
widely accepted and used throughout the health and medical care
industry sector, and an appropriate occupational certificate is often
an employment prerequisite and necessary for advancement.

American Medical Technologists (AMT) is a non-profit organization
established in 1939 to promote competency in the medical technology
and assistance areas through continuing education and specialty
certification.  Headquartered in Park Ridge, Illinois, the AMT has
membership of over 26,000 individuals that includes medical laboratory
technicians, medical assistants, and dental assistants, and others.
The AMT currently sponsors 8 certification programs for health
practitioners.  These certification programs benchmark the knowledge
and skills of medical technologists; medical laboratory technicians;
office laboratory technicians; laboratory consultants; medical
assistants; phlebotomy technicians; dental assistants, and allied
health instructors.

Educational requirements vary from state to state. Some states suggest
certain certifications, and others require them.

Also, it seems California and Florida have some of the highest
certification requirements in this field. Also, once you get licenced
at the state level, most colleges and schoold offer you to go on and
get a national certification, or even a international certification.

This may be helpful in studying for your certification.

Glad I could tell you how to get an answer, since there is no list of
all 50 states because of the varying requirements. If this answer
requires further explanation, please request clarification before
rating it, and I'll be happy to look into this further.

Google Answers Researcher
Subject: Re: phlebotomy licensure or certification
From: crabcakes-ga on 29 Apr 2004 18:30 PDT
An easy way to know about this, in your state, would be to call a
temporary medical staffing agency, like First Assist, StarMed,
Intellihealth, etc. They will know immediately what is required for
your area, and you probably won't get a run-around from people who are
not sure what a phlebotomist is!

You might try checking certifying agencies as well, such as AMT and ASCP



Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy