Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Croatian man to marry a UK citizen and settle in the UK ( No Answer,   1 Comment )
Subject: Croatian man to marry a UK citizen and settle in the UK
Category: Family and Home > Families
Asked by: radlondon-ga
List Price: $20.00
Posted: 14 May 2004 12:27 PDT
Expires: 13 Jun 2004 12:27 PDT
Question ID: 346445
Hi, I am an asylum seeker who came to UK during the war in Croatia and
my case I still in process.  I have been living with my girlfriend for
1 year and we are going out together for 2 years, she is an UK
citizen. We are planning to get married in July.

- What is the process we need follow for me to get residency in UK
then, after wedding?

- Any other relevant facts, information or advice is welcome.

Request for Question Clarification by leli-ga on 15 May 2004 02:55 PDT
Hi radlondon

Congratulations on your marriage plans!

Would it be right to assume you have been granted "exceptional leave
to remain" (ELR), and are waiting for a decision on "indefinite leave
to remain" (ILR)?

Can you tell us when your ELR expires? You say your case is "in
process", so are you expecting a decision on ILR at any particular

Thanks - Leli

Request for Question Clarification by leli-ga on 16 May 2004 09:40 PDT
Hello again radlondon

Thanks for your message.

I'm going to leave this question open, but in case no-one can give you
a full answer, here are one or two suggestions.

After your marriage you could apply for an extension of stay using this form:
It would be wise to take further advice on this from someone who knows
the details of your case, and can check that this would not in any way
conflict with your current immigration status.
After two years of marriage, you can apply for indefinite leave to remain. 
See also:

There is one possible difficulty. If your case is decided soon and you
are refused permission to stay before the wedding takes place, things
may get very complicated.  These pages should help you find a
reputable immigration adviser:

Good luck with everything - Leli
There is no answer at this time.

Subject: Re: Croatian man to marry a UK citizen and settle in the UK
From: pinkfreud-ga on 15 May 2004 18:54 PDT
Note to Researchers: see the question linked below for more info from the customer.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy