Hello again Mxsmetz,
I hope I have garnered information to provide you a helpful answer in
getting a model of the Solid Comfort bomber. First, let me start with
a website directory I found:
Thirty Thousand Feet - Aircraft Models - aircraft models
- This is a mixed directory of aircraft model manufacturers, so it has
both kit manufacturers and other resources as well as the custom model
makers you are looking for. You can look through them if you have
time. Meanwhile, I looked around separately and found these custom
makes that may be able to help you. Unfortunately, I could not tell if
any of them are in or near Chicago. However, if they say they can
custom-make any plane of any marking, then they can make Solid
Comfort. I'm sure they can deliver to Chicago:
Some Custom plane makers:
Custom Made Mahogany Desktop Models, Airlines, Military, General
Aviation, Law Enforcement
- Here's a model maker that offers a price of $160 for a model less than 20"
Silent Thunder Models: Special Order Custom Helicopter & Airplane
Models - Customized Display Models
Motion Models - Custom Model Gallery. Model airplanes ships aircraft aviation.
Custom Made Aircraft Models by AHC - Commercial, Military, Private
- I'm not sure if they custom-make military aircraft, though I believe they do.
HandCraftedModels.com : model airplanes, ships, planes, boats,
All Wood Wings: B-24J Liberator, USAF 'The Captain and the Kids'
- A custom B-24 goes for around $300. Payment has to be through Paypal I think.
Aviation Models: Custom Models
Griffin Aerospace Custom and Specialty Aircraft Models
Scalecraft - Quality Hand Carved Mahogany Airplane Models
Wings America - Carmel, CA
- Quite far from you though. Click on "Custom Aircraft Models" for
Pacific Products Gallery - Custom Scale Model Aircraft
- This came out in a search for custom makers, however none of the
links were working by the time I searched for it. I hope you'll have
B-24 at Nick Proach Models
- Here's a B-24J sold by Nick Proach Models, though I don't think this
company would make custom models. As the hard way, you could buy this
and have a modeler paint or decal it in the Solid Comfort marking.
In case you would accept plastic modelers, I have a list of some you
could approach to make a B-24 plastic kit into the "Solid Comfort".
IPMS/USA - Director of Local Chapters - Listings By Region
- IPMS is the premier plastic modelers' association. Perhaps
contacting the Chicago chapter here could help you find someone do a
plasticmodel for you.
FineScale Modeler Community Forum
- The forum of FineScale Modeler is probably one place where you can
ask around plastic modelers if they'd want to do your project, or if
they can tell you of somebody in Chicago who can do it.
The Military Art Gallery Allies World War II Aviation - Custom models by Pat Hawkey
- Pat Hawkey is a renowned aircraft modeler, having been featured in
Fine Scale Modeler. He does not live near you though, but I believe
SCALEHOBBY.COM FORUMS - YOUR HOBBY FORUMS!
- Another example of a hobby forum you could ask around in.
Freedom Collectibles - Consolidated Aircraft Corp. B-24 Liberator
- A stock model like this could be sent to a modeler or artist for
painting and decaling with the markings you want.
In case you might want to create your own "Solid Comfort" decal
markings, though you may let the modeler install them, here's a
product that might be of help:
HobbyTown USA: Make Your Own Markings
Google Search Terms used:
custom model b-24
custom military plane model
custom b-24 plane model
custom model plane
air modeler forum
aircraft modeler forum
custom model aircraft
I hope this has been a most helpful answer. If you need anything else,
or have a problem with the answer, do please post a Request for
Clarification before rating and I shall respond as soon as I can.