Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Import Tax for NRIs moving from US to India ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   2 Comments )
Subject: Import Tax for NRIs moving from US to India
Category: Business and Money
Asked by: mohitgupta-ga
List Price: $3.00
Posted: 19 May 2004 18:07 PDT
Expires: 18 Jun 2004 18:07 PDT
Question ID: 349096
I want to find out which items are taxable; and what is the current
tax rate for these categories of items if an NRI (Non Resident Indian)
is moving permanently from US to India. I want the answer the
following categories, if needed you can sub categorize these
categories further:
1. Automobiles (cars/bikes)
2. Electronics (TV/Home Theatre System)
3. Computer (Laptops/Computer Components)

Let me know if you need further information.

Request for Question Clarification by netcrazy-ga on 19 May 2004 23:25 PDT
Dear mohitgupta,
I'm working on your question and will answer it as soon as I'm done with it.

Subject: Re: Import Tax for NRIs moving from US to India
Answered By: netcrazy-ga on 20 May 2004 13:29 PDT
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Hello mohitgupta,

Thanks for posting your question.

If you are importing your items as a part of "Transfer of Residence"
(TOR), then the import duty is going to be less. Following is a link
from Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC) which clearly provide
you the details about TOR, conditions for TOR and the duty structure -

As a part of TOR, duty on home theatre, various electronic items like
VCR, DVD player and so on and many household items like AC, Microwave
oven etc would be 15% provided TOR conditions are met as per the new
rule -

This following news also mentions the same -

For laptop, it is now duty free if it is taken one per adult as TOR ?

For importing passenger cars and multi utility vehicles, following
link can give you exact details -

But make sure that the passenger car is NOT left hand drive as it may
not be allowed to import.

Importing motor vehicles to India -

Also, you can read more details about the latest notifications issued by CBEC -

Some more links on this topic -

Let me know if this helped. In case of any questions, feel free to
request for clarification.

Search Strategy:
Import duty NRI

left hand drive car import NRI

mohitgupta-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars
Gave the answer very quickly and with many online references. Good researcher.

Subject: Re: Import Tax for NRIs moving from US to India
From: 5811001-ga on 09 Mar 2005 16:49 PST
You also may want to ask this question in the forum at  You can download the Harmonized Tariff
Schedule and a guide on how to use it to figure out everything you
need to know about import duties.
Subject: Re: Import Tax for NRIs moving from US to India
From: mohitgupta-ga on 09 Mar 2005 21:11 PST
Thanks for the reply, but seems the site you have told is for import
tax if something is being imported in US. I am looking into import tax
if an item is import in India (from US).


Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy