Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: DPRK ( Answered 3 out of 5 stars,   0 Comments )
Subject: DPRK
Category: Reference, Education and News > Current Events
Asked by: mongolia-ga
List Price: $30.00
Posted: 25 May 2004 10:34 PDT
Expires: 24 Jun 2004 10:34 PDT
Question ID: 351735
Charles Robert Jenkins has been a name recently in the news. He was
alleged to have defected to North Korea in 1965. I would be interested
in seeing
news reports at the time of his defection. 4 or 5 examples would suffice.

They need not originate from the US news media (although that would be



Request for Question Clarification by pafalafa-ga on 25 May 2004 11:51 PDT
There are several sites online where you can see newspaper pages (the
actual images of the pages, not just the text) covering the strange
saga of Charles Robert Jenkins' defection.  However, each of the sites
charges for access to the images -- generally about $3.00 per article.

There are at least ten articles available, so you would have to pick
and choose which ones best meet your needs.

Should I post information about accessing these sites as an answer to
your question?

Let me know.


Request for Question Clarification by pafalafa-ga on 25 May 2004 11:52 PDT
P.S.  Of course, no researcher can post the articles here for you,
since they are protected by copyright.

Clarification of Question by mongolia-ga on 27 May 2004 04:40 PDT
Dear Pafalafa

 Please go ahead and give me the sources for the 10 articles to which
you refer. I assume you need to give me the brief details of the
registration process as well the title of the articles.

With reference to your comment about copyright, can  you use these
articles to answer questions without viloating copyright agreements?


Subject: Re: DPRK
Answered By: pafalafa-ga on 27 May 2004 12:43 PDT
Rated:3 out of 5 stars
Hello again, mongolia-ga,

Thanks for getting back to me on this.

As I mentioned in my earlier comment, there are a few sites where you
can view old newspaper stories for a (relatively modest) fee.

The best of these, in my opinion, is the NY Times Archives site, but
this just may reflect my prejudice as a one-time Brooklynite.

The NYT Archives can be accessed here:

Notice there are two tabs on the page -- one for searching the
archives from 1851-1995, and another for searching from 1996 to the

Presumably, you want to use the first, but I also wanted to point out
the opportunity to conduct more recent searches as well.

Searching on the search terms:

Charles Jenkins Korea

will find articles containing all these terms.  The search produces 13
results, that can be sorted from newest to oldest, or vice-versa (or
by relevance) by selecting the approriate link.

Not all 13 results are relevant to Charles Robert Jenkins, but I trust
it's pretty obvious which are which.

For instance, the earliest relevant story is:

North Korean Reds Report U.S. Cavalryman Defected
Jan 27, 1965; pg. 13 

Clicking the headline link will take you to a preview page which
*sometimes* shows you the first paragraph of the story (but doesn't,
in this case).

On the preview page, there is a small text link that says:

"Buy article image"

Click this, and you will be taken to instructions for opening an
account in order to view the actual article.  You can view a single
image for about $3.00, or buy a "package" discount -- if you pay for
25 articles at once, they can be as cheap as about $1 each.


Another interesting archive site, covering mostly smaller, local
papers, is the NewspaperArchive service at:

where a similar search as before will actually show you snippets of
results even before signing up for the service.

A search on:

"Charles Jenkins" "North Korea" 
(make sure to include the quotes)

turns up 10 results looking like this:


Tri City Herald - 1/27/1965  
...Plan SGT. CHARLES JENKINS .in NORTH KOREA Gl Writes To SEOUL," before he defected to Communist NORTH KOREA three weeks
ago. "I know..
Pasco, Washington   Wednesday, January 27, 1965   


If you click on the article link, you can see the actual story (or any
other story of interest) after signing up to the NewspaperArchive

For instance, I clicked on a link to the January 27, 1965 issue of The
Daily Times-News in Burlington, NC, to find an article on Jenkins:


Tar Heel Defector Reported

The Army confirmed today that a sergeant from North Carolina had
defected to Communist North Korea three weeks ago.

The Army said Sgt. Charles R. Jenkins, 24, of Rich Square, N.C.,
disappeared Jan. 5 and left a note to his mother apologizing "for the
trouble I will cause you."...


As I mentioned before, I cannot excerpt much more of the story, due to
copyright protection, but you can see the original in its entirety at
the site.  And yes, researchers can make
judicious use of article content (with appropriate summaries and
excerpts) to answer questions about a given topic.

By the way, if you repeat the search with slightly different search terms:

"Charles R Jenkins" "North Korea" 
"Charles Robert Jenkins" "North Korea" 

you will find some additional articles in the results.

Lastly, I should mention that many public libraries have access to one
or more newspaper archives online at no charge to library users -- you
may want to check out this option in your local library.

I hope this information fully meets your needs.  

But before rating this answer, please let me know if you would like
any additional information.  Just post a Request for Clarfication, and
I'll be happy to assist you further.


Clarification of Answer by pafalafa-ga on 15 Jul 2004 13:08 PDT
Well, well, well.  Isn't life unpredictable:

Jenkins' is back in the news!

mongolia-ga rated this answer:3 out of 5 stars
Partially answered my question. I was able to locate 3 articles for
the New York Times which appear to be relevent to my question. The
articles were fairly brief in that one reported his (i.e. Charles
Jenkins) defection, a
 second was confirmation from North Korea that he had defected and the
third was an article in 1982 of another defection of an American
Soldier to North Korea which also referred to Charles Jenkins.

Regarding the NEWSPAPER Archive Search service I also did a search on
this which came up with what looked like some interesting articles
(in total about 3) However when  i attempted to register to the
service it came up with an error message



There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy