Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Law Degree in the England for Student from Israel ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   6 Comments )
Subject: Law Degree in the England for Student from Israel
Category: Reference, Education and News > Education
Asked by: nickomahoney-ga
List Price: $10.00
Posted: 05 Jun 2004 08:53 PDT
Expires: 05 Jul 2004 08:53 PDT
Question ID: 356769
My fiance is moving to England with me in a few weeks and hopes to
begin University here for this term (Sept 2004).

She would like to study law, hopfully in the East Midlands area
(Nottingham, Derby, Leciester) where I live.

My question isnt so much about where to study as such, just how much
would it cost her to study here?

Any help would be greatly appriecated.

Subject: Re: Law Degree in the England for Student from Israel
Answered By: leli-ga on 05 Jun 2004 12:25 PDT
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Hello nickomahoney


Your fiancée's move to England is great news, but I'm afraid her study
plans will not come cheap.

The short answer is that the fees are going to be at least £7000 a
year, since your fiancée will be considered an international student.

Unfortunately, she will not qualify as a "home" student who would pay
less. Even if you were to marry soon, she could not qualify for
cheaper fees for at least three years.

Before I spell out the fees for four universities, I need to say that
it is fairly late in the year to apply for a place on a law course
starting in September 2004. Some of the most popular courses may
already be full.

Sorry if that sounds pessimistic, but I have to advise you to get busy
if your fiancée wants to start this autumn.

Some of the fees quoted are for this year, not for 2004-5.


The tuition fees for international students taking a full-time law
course were £7,695 in 2003-4

Faculty of Law

International Office


Undergraduate Courses - Classroom Based £7,000 
Tuition fees quoted are per year for entrants in the 2004/2005
academic year, and will remain the same for the normal duration of
your course.

Law courses

International Office


£8,350 (Band C)

A law course is a Band C course

School of Law

International Office


Undergraduate Classroom Based Courses	£7,600   2004-5

Law School

International Student Support

As you see, Derby's course is the cheapest, and I am pretty sure it
will be easier to get into than the others, as it is less popular. In
fact, you might want to check that it leads to the same professional
opportunities as the other courses.

If you want to go into this in more detail, do explore the university
websites and look at some of the following links. Please don't
hesitate to ask if you'd like me to clarify something, and I'll do my
best to help.

I'd also suggest that phoning the international students office at
universities which interest your fiance should be a good way of
getting advice.

By the way, the normal criteria for "home" student fees are:
1) You are "ordinarily resident" in the UK, or ~
2) You have been been settled here for three years.
(There are exceptions, but I don't think they'll help from what I
understand of your situation. See the list of "further information"

Further Information

Definition of a "home student"

You can download detailed guidance on who qualifies as a "home" student from here:
The Education (Fees and Awards) Regulations 1997
Introduction and Regulations (near bottom of page)

Advice for international students marrying a UK citizen

International Students Advice

Education Guardian University Guide

The Times Good University Guide,,716,00.html

Independent (newspaper) Guide to Universities

UCAS university admissions

The very best of luck with your plans. I hope your fiance finds a
place on a good law course, and I wish you every happiness.


Search strategy:

Searched university websites for law, fees and international student advice.

Also searched with:

"international OR overseas student" fees
" home student" fees
"international OR overseas student" regulations
"international OR overseas student" married UK citizen

Used education websites already familiar to me
nickomahoney-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars
Cheers for that, all the information we needed, your a gem

Subject: Re: Law Degree in the England for Student from Israel
From: leli-ga on 05 Jun 2004 13:34 PDT

I'm glad you found the answer useful.

Subject: Re: Law Degree in the England for Student from Israel
From: nickomahoney-ga on 05 Jun 2004 14:04 PDT
Hi there, 

I hate to ask another question but its just a quickie

Say if my fiance hasnt got the right grades for the degree and needs
to attend college to improve then how much will college cost?

Say for an A level or equivalent?

I'd really appriecate it if u could help

Subject: Re: Law Degree in the England for Student from Israel
From: leli-ga on 05 Jun 2004 14:38 PDT
£4000 to do A-levels full-time at South Nottingham College

Derby College £3900

Leicester College ask you to phone to discuss costs

There may be evening/community education classes where you could do an
A-level more cheaply. How about checking with a local library? They
usually have lists of what's on offer.
Subject: Re: Law Degree in the England for Student from Israel
From: nickomahoney-ga on 06 Jun 2004 06:17 PDT
Cheers again, your a star!
Subject: Re: Law Degree in the England for Student from Israel
From: owain-ga on 06 Jun 2004 12:00 PDT
One point you may not be aware of is the difference between an LLB
(Bachelor of Laws) and a BA(Law) (Bachelor of Arts in Law) degree in
the UK.

An LLB degree is usually recognised as meeting the professional
requirements for those intending to become solicitors, barristers or
advocates. A BA(Law) is an arts degree and is not usually
professionally recognised. BA(Law) degrees may offer lower costs and
less stringent entry requirements, and might also allow a wider choice
of courses to make up the degree programme.

Subject: Re: Law Degree in the England for Student from Israel
From: derbylaw-ga on 23 Jun 2004 10:31 PDT
I came across your Google question by accident! Please get in touch
with me in Law at the University of Derby and we
can discuss your query. We have a longstanding commitment to providing
undergraduate legal education for Israeli students.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy