I am searching for information on my Great Grandfather and Great
Grandmother(both deceased). I know my Grandfathers name was Irwin
Rubenstein of West New York, NJ. He was a relatively well known town
attorney for West New York in the 1930s and have found many articles
on him in ProQuest database. He (my grandfather) was born July 5 1898
and died in Sept 1971 in Los Angles, CA. Irwin Rubenstein married
Augusta F Farber (date unkown. She was born July 16, 1901 and died
Sept 5 1999.
Anyway, I am looking for the parents of Irwin Rubenstein (my great
grandmother and great grandfather). I know nothing about them other
than that they may have been born in Poland or Russia. Also, I had
heard a "family" rumor that his wife was a heavy woman and perhaps her
name was Hanna or Hannah.
If you could find out their names, birth places and dates, death place
and dates and information about them, i would be most appreciative.
If you need other information about Irwin Rubenstein I can provide
more info if that may help.
Clarification of Question by
19 Jul 2004 20:08 PDT
This information was taken from the journal of Irwin Rubenstein,
perhaps it could provide clues. Please note that in his journal it
says that his father passed away march 16, 1922, but it is possible
this is not correct since it was very difficult for me to read (really
- Entered Georgetown University on Oct 1, 1917.
- Graduated Georgetown University June, 1920.
- Elected to Municpal Committee in Oct 1921.
- On January 1917, graduated Dickinson High School.
- Was president of senior class in high school - 12B.
- Was captain of high school basketball team.
- From Feb 2, 1917 to Feb 23, spent at Sarah's farm in Gardiner, NY.
- Spent 3 months, summer of 1919 in Gariner, NY.
- March 16, 1922, father passed away.
- Worked for Mutual Chemical Co. of American Wiring summer of 1916 as bill clerk.
- Started work for Department of Justice on Oct 2, 1917.
- Employed Dec 19, 1918 Francis B. James at $1300.
- On Dec 16, 1920 was admitted to the Bar and immediately began to practice law.
- Dec 1919 organized Washington chapter of [unreadable] Fraternity
- Took Kate to senior prom on April 15, 1920 at Hotel Willard - formal.
- On Lincoln's birthday eve 1918 attended Freshman Prom Hotel Willard
Formal - Ms. Caskin.
- During years 1912, 1913, 1914, 1915, 1917 spent summers at Lake
Hopatcong, NJ camping.
- Took Anna Raskin to senior commencement dance class of June 1916.
- On July 17, 1917 tried to enlist in Navy, rejected poor physique.
- On October 16, 1918 became a soldier.
Request for Question Clarification by
20 Jul 2004 05:58 PDT
I think that researchers are going to be most-helpful with suggestions
on how to find information about the parents (your great grandparents)
by suggestions on how to start research on them. Most of the
information will be available to you via Freedom of Information
requests to government agencies. For example:
* have you requested the military records of Irwin? These may list
information on his parents. We can tell you how to do that via the
Military Records Facility.
* do you know where Irwin was raised (I see the note about Dickinson
HS but don't know where it is)? Census records for 1900 and 1910 will
have valuable information on his parents, including occupation, age,
full names, country of birth, date of immigration to the U.S., country
of birth of parents, names of children, ages of children.
* once you have a date of immigration, you can request immigration
and naturalization paperwork from the U.S. government.
Would this be adequate for you?
Clarification of Question by
20 Jul 2004 08:17 PDT
I am looking for names, dates, places of death birth, and information
more than for the process. I have spent much time on ancestory.com
looking at census records, etc. and did not find a trail leading to my
The only other information I fogot to list is that Dickinson High
School is located in Northern NJ, probably Bergen County. Also, Irwin
Rubenstein was a prominent Attorney and I believe he was born/raised
in West New York, NJ. From his death record I found out that he died
in California, so he may have some family there. I am not positive
about him being born in West New York, NJ, but it is possible.