Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Digital Optical Cable Combiner ( Answered,   0 Comments )
Subject: Digital Optical Cable Combiner
Category: Science > Instruments and Methods
Asked by: terrymeca-ga
List Price: $3.50
Posted: 11 Jul 2002 09:59 PDT
Expires: 10 Aug 2002 09:59 PDT
Question ID: 38539
I am looking for a devise that is resonably priced (<$100) and good
quality that will combine (add) the digital optical output signals
(toslink) from two audio devised into one digital optical output
signal. I want to input both of my Sony CD changers into one input on
my Receiver and overlap the signal. The RCA componet output is not
working on one unit so I want to use the digital output. What are
these devises manufacturer's name, model number and price?
Subject: Re: Digital Optical Cable Combiner
Answered By: chromedome-ga on 12 Jul 2002 13:32 PDT
Hi, Terrymeca!

You will find a simple but effective device at your nearest Radio
Shack.  It will accept up to four TOSlink inputs (because you KNOW
you'll be getting more toys someday soon) and retails for $29.99 US,
with wide availability.  I've used this unit myself, and it seems to
work quite decently.  Here is the appropriate page on their website:

Because of the length of the URL, you will likely need to "cut &
paste" it into your browser.  If you would prefer not to deal with the
Shack, simply print this page and take it to the stereo store of your
choice.  I'm sure they will be happy to point you to a similar
product, from another reputable manufacturer.

One final point I'd like to raise, though.  Many Sony audio products
do not in fact have the standard TOSlink connection, but a proprietary
Sony digital-audio connection.  The necessary adaptor is also sold by
Radio Shack and other outlets.  The Radio Shack version may be found

You may also find either product by simply going to and
searching on "Toslink".

Search strategy:  None.  As explained above, I've used this particular
unit and so simply went to the Radio Shack site.

Request for Answer Clarification by terrymeca-ga on 19 Aug 2002 16:29 PDT
The devise (Radio Shack, 4-Way Digital Optical Selector) is not quite
what I want. It is a switch that take one of 4 inputs and sends it to
one output. I am looking for a devise that will take 2 or more inputs
and combine (add) them to make one (composite) output. My two CD
changers have a fade capability and I want to hear one fade in while
the other fades out.

Clarification of Answer by chromedome-ga on 19 Aug 2002 18:38 PDT
My apologies, Terrymeca,  evidently I did not read your question
thoroughly enough before answering it.

I've not spoken to anyone who has done what you wish to do, so I
cannot vouch for the feasibility of it.  However, I have found some
units that should do what you want.  They are described as "splitters"
rather than "combiners", but I see no reason why the signal should not
be bidirectional.

Core Sound, in New Jersey, sells such a device for $12 plus shipping:

Sys.Concept, of Edmonton, Canada, sells a similar product for $15 US
plus shipping, but offers a wider variety of shipping options:

Finally, if you are close enough to the Canadian border, Radio Shack
Canada carries a third such device (Radio Shack US apparently does

Note that the price of $24.99CDN equates to roughly $15-$16 US.

The only device I could find which was explicitly a splitter-combiner
is the DIY model shown in this PDF file (requires Adobe Acrobat

I would expect, though, if this idea is feasible, that one of the
store-bought splitters above should do the trick.

Search strategy:

"toslink splitter/combiner" OR "toslink splitter-combiner" OR "Toslink
combiner" OR "Toslink splitter"
There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy