Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: IT COURSE OPPORTUNITIES ( Answered,   0 Comments )
Category: Reference, Education and News
Asked by: itgoodluck-ga
List Price: $100.00
Posted: 25 Aug 2004 06:56 PDT
Expires: 24 Sep 2004 06:56 PDT
Question ID: 392346
Dear web users,
I am writing from Gambia in West Africa.
I am into web design and IT but want to further education on that
field. But my problem is sponsorship. Does anyone have a link to IT
and web related sponsors even for a short term course of one/three/six
or nine months.
I will be grateful because there are no such opportunities here to
improve on what one is dreaming of actually becoming and because the
world is going completely in the IT, it makes it very necessary for
one to get properly eductaed along that line.
Your contributions and assistances will be highly appreciated.

Request for Question Clarification by muhammad-ga on 25 Aug 2004 10:16 PDT

IT is the 'in' thing and shall continue to remain so. As you have
rightly understood, there is a great demand for qualified IT
professionals the world over.

Before answering your question I would like some clarification on few points:

1) Are you talking about sponsorship from a US university or are you
interesterd in any other country whose IT education is recognized the
world over, say India for example, which is the largest provider of IT
professionals to the world. Education is also very cheap here as
compared to US or European countries.

2) What is your present qualification? (high-school/graduate/masters).

3) As a personal suggestion I would recommend to go for a course which
is at least one and a half year in duration. How much time do you plan
to give your IT education?

4) Lastly, is there any particular field that you are interested in
IT. Information Technology is a fairly vast field and there are
various avenues that it provides. There is programming (which in
itself is a vast field), networking, animation/special effects,
database management, web design & development etc). What is your field
of chioce in IT?

I shall try to answer your question after I receive aforementioned clarifications.

Wishing you all the best for your higher studies in IT.

Google Answers Researcher

Clarification of Question by itgoodluck-ga on 26 Aug 2004 07:56 PDT
I am not too keen about sponsorship only from  a US university. It
could be anywhere in the world provided I don't have to battle with
Language problem. India is not a bad country, either. What am
interested in is to pursue my education and achieve my dream of
getting schooled in the IT field.
I am a graduate of Mass Communication.
I don't mind a course as long as two years, the reason why I was
indicating the short duration was for the sake of securing quick
sponsorship. But really I don't mind upto two years course in IT. I
plan to give it as much time as it would require and as much time as
there are sponsors to carry me through.
I already have a personal knowledge on Web design/ development and
would want to continue with it but my major focus will be on
Programming and Software Engineering.
I will appreciate your assistance.
Answered By: muhammad-ga on 27 Aug 2004 10:02 PDT
I have divided your question in two main parts: one dealing with the
sponsorship procedure for getting admission in an Indian university
and another part in which I have provided a list of courses from
various universities/institutes in IT.
As an ancillary to this research I have also provided some material on
foreign students in India. There are numerous African students who
come to India, particularly Maharashtra to study. Every day, here in
Mumbai, I get to see a lot of them.

Please consider this question to be a starting point in answering your
question, since I acknowledge that this is an important career
decision for you and can change the course of your life. I shall as
future clarifications to this question personally talk to some foreign
students here and get some ?real life? information from their
experience of studies in India. If I am lucky enough, I shall talk to
someone who is doing a specialization in Software Programming. That
shall give you ?copy-and-paste? convenience for the procedure required
to getting admission in any IT institute and other issues like living,
accommodation, expenses, traveling etc.

Being a long answer I have provided the Contents list. 



India As A Favorite Destination Or Foreign Students Going For
Information Technology Education:

An article in the Economic Times outlines how students from reputed
colleges and universities around the world are induced by Indian IT
industry, taking into account the fact that 50% of the Fortune 500
work is being outsourced to India.
?Foreign students land here to feel the IT magic?

?Foreign students prefer India?

?India's universities attracting more foreign students?
In this article Erdine-Us Atiya, a university student from Mongolia,
says, "I came because education in India is cheaper than any other
country. The fees for one year in my country is the same as the fees
for three years in India."

It should be noted that cheap education is not the reason why students
prefer India. Indian has a vast pool of IT-literate people, and there
are specialist faculties in Indian colleges/universities.


*Study in India For Overseas Students
?In Indian system, Higher education includes the education imparted
after the 10 + 2 stage - ten years of primary and secondary education
followed by two years of higher secondary education.  The academic
session is yearly and starts in July or August. Admission starts in
the month of May/June on the basis of  written examination or
interview. Some universities/Institutes reserve a limited number of
seats for Foreign students/NRI students, which are given on the basis
of applicant's academic record.?

Commerce/ Economics/ Management:	2 yrs
Arts/ Humanities/ Social Sc.:		2 yrs
Pharmacy/ Dentistry:				2 yrs 
Hotel Mangt./:					1 1/2yrs 
Engineering/ Architecutre:			1 1/2yrs 


Please refer to for a
formatted tabular . This website has also links to Universities of
various Indian states.

Since you have a bachelor?s degree, it would be therefore advisable to
go for a Masters degree which gives you a chance to specialize in IT.
In India you can do masters in IT by enrolling for the following:

a. MCA (Master in Computer Applications)

b. MBA-IT (MBA with specialization in IT)

c. MCM (Master in Computer Management)

d. PGDCA/PGDCS (Post Graduate Diploma in Computer Applications/Science)

Among the above mentioned master?s programs MCA and MCM is usually
associated with computer programming and software engineering, though
it varies from university to university.


**?Undergraduate Courses In Engineering or Technology
Self financing international students are not permitted to apply
directly to undergraduate courses in engineering or technology in any
government institution in India. They can however, apply directly to
private institutions.
A limited number of seats have been kept reserved in undergraduate
engineering and diploma in engineering courses for the self financing
students of some developing countries.

Students seeking admission against the reserved seats are required to
submit their applications to the Students Cell, Room No. 1009 Ministry
of External Affairs, Akbar Bhavan, New Delhi 110021 through the
diplomatic missions of respective countries in India. The applications
should be submitted by 28 February of the corresponding year.
Candidates who have completed 12 years of schooling with Physics,
Chemistry, Mathematics are eligible to apply. Students wishing to
study for a diploma in engineering courses, should have completed 10
years of schooling.?

**?Postgraduate Engineering Courses 	
There are no reserved seats for international students under the Self
Financing Scheme for postgraduate courses in Engineering and
Technology. Candidates interested in pursuing studies towards Master's
and PhD degrees in Engineering and Technology should therefore, apply
to the Students Cell, Room No. 1009, Ministry of External Affairs,
Akbar Bhavan, New Delhi 110 021 through the Indian missions abroad or
through the respective foreign missions in India. The student should
fill up the application form prescribed by the institute and submit
the following documents:
A copy of the educational certificate/marksheet (where original
certificates are issued in a language other than English, an English
translation should also be provided)
A copy of the valid passport (only the first four pages)
A copy of the valid residential permit or details of the student visa
(relevant for candidates already in India)
Personal particulars including contact address. (according to the Form
in Annexure II)
A No Objection Certificate from the Department of Education, Ministry
of Human Resource Development, Shastri Bhavan, New Delhi 110 001.
(according to the Form in Annexure II)
In addition, for postgraduate and PhD programmes in Engineering and
Technology, the student should have passed the graduate aptitude test
in engineering (GATE). This applies to those international students
who have obtained their engineering/ technology degrees in India.
GATE examination is conducted annually by the Indian Institute of
Technology at different centres in India. A proof of passing the GATE
examination should be submitted along with the application for

Find this and more details at


* University of Hyderabad

* Osmania University

* Jamia Millia Islamic

* Shivaji University Kolhapur


====> 5. GENERAL INFORATION (Which typically applies to all the Indian

?All international students should produce a medical certificate to
the effect that they are not affected by AIDS, at the time of

An international student who has been granted admission into a
particular course shall not be allowed to change his/her course for
which he/she was originally admitted.

Once an international student has taken an admission in a particular
college/institution, he/she shall not be allowed to change the
college/institution with out a ?no objection? letter form the
Principal of the college where he/she was originally admitted.

International students are not eligible to join correspondence courses
or external examinations conducted by this University.

Special English coaching, if they so desire, can be given to students
coming from non-English medium, by the English Language Training
Centre, at each of the colleges where admitted on payment basis.

Since hostel accommodation is not available in most of the private
affiliated colleges and in the University, the staff at University
Foreign Relations Office and the office of International Students
Advisor will help students in finding suitable accommodation in
private houses. Rents for the off-campus private housing vary,
depending upon the locality and facilities available therein.

University doesn?t have any provision for scholarships to
International Students. However, the Government of India grants some
scholarships under various schemes and students are advised to contact
the nearest Indian Embassy for necessary information about them. They
may also contact the UNESCO Handbook for Study Abroad that lists some
scholarships and the addresses to which applications should be mailed.
They can also apply to the ?Director, Indian Council for Cultural
Relations (ISD Section), I.P. Estate, New Delhi 110 002, INDIA?, for
possible award of scholarship.

International students should have the required financial resources to
cover all their expenses. Part-time employment is not available.

Indian customs and practices are different from other countries in
many respects and international students are expected to respect them.
University academic year starts in June with the First-year classes
commencing in July. Annual examinations are held in March/April every
academic year. Students have first-term holidays in October/November
and summer vacations starts from May.?


I am going to post further after your reply so that I know that I am
going on the right track, and you assimilate the above information In
my next post I shall mail in detail about the colleges offering
MCA,MBA-IT, PGDCA/S with contact details.

Google Answers Researcher
There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy