Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Specific Instructions on how to change the state you are registered to vote in. ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   0 Comments )
Subject: Specific Instructions on how to change the state you are registered to vote in.
Category: Relationships and Society > Politics
Asked by: anonanon-ga
List Price: $2.00
Posted: 08 Sep 2004 06:31 PDT
Expires: 08 Oct 2004 06:31 PDT
Question ID: 398316
I need specific instructions on how to change my state voting
registration. I recently registered in New York but am moving to North
Carolina more than 30 days prior to the election in November. I want
to be registered in North Carolina, but every 'register to vote' site
I have seen says you cannot register if you are registered in another
state. I'm easily frustrated by beauracracy. Help!
Subject: Re: Specific Instructions on how to change the state you are registered to vote in.
Answered By: tar_heel_v-ga on 08 Sep 2004 08:13 PDT
Rated:5 out of 5 stars

To register to vote in North Carolina (welcome, by the way :) ), as
you seem to udnerstand, you must reside in North Carolina for thirty
(30) days prior to the election (therefore) and you must register at
least 25 days prior to the election.  You can download the voter
registration from from
(Adobe Acrobat Reader required).  You will need to send in a copy of
your NC driver's license or a copy of a current utility bill, bank
statement, government check, paycheck or other government document
that shows your name.  If you don't provide ID with the application,
you will be required to do so the first time you vote.  If you let me
know what city you are moving to, I can give you the address of the
county Board of Elections Office where you can mail the form.  If you
are North Carolina, you can go to any DMV office and register as well.

Thanks for your question and welcome to North Carolina!  If you need
any additional clarification, please let me know.



Search Strategy:

NC State Board of Elections

Request for Answer Clarification by anonanon-ga on 08 Sep 2004 08:58 PDT
Thanks for your answer. I'm moving to Durham. Is it a problem that I
have just registered in another state?

Clarification of Answer by tar_heel_v-ga on 08 Sep 2004 09:21 PDT
Should be no problem at all.  The form has an area where you cancel
your previous registration.

Welcome to Durham!  I work in Chapel Hill.  The Durham County Board of Elections:


PO Box 868
Durham, NC 27702


706 West Corporation St.
Durham, NC 27702

Phone: 919-560-0700
Fax: 919-560-0688
anonanon-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars

There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy