Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Testing of irradiated spices and vegetables ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   1 Comment )
Subject: Testing of irradiated spices and vegetables
Category: Science > Technology
Asked by: pnri-ga
List Price: $20.00
Posted: 24 Sep 2004 20:09 PDT
Expires: 24 Oct 2004 20:09 PDT
Question ID: 406106
I would like to know some laboratories which has the capabilities to
test whether a certain spice and/or dehydrated vegetables has been
irradiated or not? Would appreciate also if the laboratory can know
the kilogray , which is degree of irradiation which has been used on
the dehydrated vegetables. Such kind of laboratories can be found
mostly in Europe in countries like Finland , Norway , Sweden or
Germany . Should have their e-mail, telephone or fax number. Like to
ask for at least two or three laboratories.

Request for Question Clarification by leli-ga on 25 Sep 2004 07:40 PDT
Hello pnri

I've found four possibilities, all in Europe. 

Two are private companies. One lists a range of foods which they will
test, while the other just describes a range of different testing
methods. Both offer one particular technique which is claimed to be
capable of detecting doses as low as 1 kGy.

The other two are laboratories associated with universities, offering
a testing service as well as conducting research. One covers a range
of foodstuffs, while the other tests only herbs and spices.

They do not offer to establish the degree of irradiation. However,
there are European Union standards applying to test methods, and these
may give you some idea about what doses can be detected by any
particular technique.

I also have the names of a couple of research-only laboratories which
can perform these tests.

If information about these laboratories with a link to the European
standards would be a suitable answer, please let me know, and I'll be
happy to write up full details for you.

Thanks - Leli

Clarification of Question by pnri-ga on 26 Sep 2004 08:31 PDT
Glad to know that you have found 4 laboratories which are capable of
testing irradiated foodstuff and one which specialized in spices and
herbs. Glad to know that some of them can detect irradiation dosage as
low as one kilogray.
You may give me the information to contact these 4 laboratories or
sources and the job is concidered done. Thanks for your help.


Clarification of Question by pnri-ga on 26 Sep 2004 08:36 PDT

Please also provide the names and contact information regarding those
other " couple of research-only laboratories " which can perform these
tests and the link to the European standards which you mentioned in
your " request for qustion clarification "


Subject: Re: Testing of irradiated spices and vegetables
Answered By: leli-ga on 26 Sep 2004 11:47 PDT
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Thanks for your message, pnri.

WEJ, part of the Eurofins group, in Hamburg, Germany

W.E.J. Laboratory

Dr. Wiertz - Dipl.-Chem. Eggert -
Dr. Jörissen GmbH
Stenzelring 14 b
21107 Hamburg Deutschland
Tel +49 40 752709 0
Fax +49 40 752709 35

Eurofins bioanalytical company

Dr. Werner Nader,
Eurofins | Wiertz-Eggert-Jörissen GmbH,
Großmoorbogen 25,
D-21079 Hamburg,
Tel: +49 40 7527 090
Fax: +49 40 30086-256

Silke Bruns
Eurofins | Wiertz-Eggert-Jörissen GmbH
Stenzelring 14b
D-21107 Hamburg
Tel: +49-40-75270-950
Fax: +49-40-75270-935

The irradiation tests they offer include:
 * Photostimulated luminescence (PSL)
Can be used for herbs and spices, shellfish, fruits and vegetables,
cereals, bulbs and tubers

 * Thermoluminescence (TL)

(They say this is, "Very specific and sensitive (detects doses < 1 kGy)" )
Can be used for herbs and spices, shellfish, fruits and vegetables,
cereals, bulbs and tubers

 * Electron spin resonance (ESR)
Can be used for foods containing bones (meat), crystalline sugar
(dehydrated fruits) or cellulose (herbs, spices, nut shells, fruits,
packaging material)

Aérial, near Strasbourg, France

Aérial - Technological Resources Centre

Aérial  Parc d'Innovation
Rue Laurent Fries
F-67400 Illkirch  
Telephone : 33 (0) 3 88 19 15 15 
Fax : 33 (0) 3 88 19 15 20 
E-mail : 

Aérial's website does not allow for direct links to individual pages,
but you will find information about their nutrition laboratory by
clicking on "English" and then on "detection of irradiated food".

RSSL, Reading University, England

Reading Scientific Services Limited (RSSL)

Reading Scientific Services Limited
The Lord Zuckerman Research Centre
Whiteknights Campus

By telephone: +44 (0) 118 986 8541
By fax: +44 (0) 118 986 8932
By e-mail:

"RSSL offers an irradiation testing service using a PSL (Photo
Stimulated Luminescence) technique.
If coupled with RSSL's microbiological screening service some
irradiation history data may also be established.  Our PSL test
follows collaboratively tested CEN protocols.
This service is currently only available for herbs, spices and
seasoning testing and any results can be confirmed using the EN1788
validated TL method."

Further information at Laboratorytalk:

Accredited Laboratory for Detection of Irradiated Foods
Institute of Nuclear Chemistry and Technology
Warsaw, Poland

Accredited Laboratory for Detection of Irradiated Foods  
Head: Dr Waclaw Stachowicz  

Institute of Nuclear Chemistry and Technology
16 Dorodna Str., 03-195 Warsaw, Poland;
Phone: (+48-22) 811-30-21, 811-00-81;
Fax: (+48-22) 811-15-32, 811-19-17;

"The Accredited Laboratory for Detection of Irradiated Foods INCT
offers analyses of foodstuffs to prove whether they were or were not
treated with ionising radiation.
The detection methods offered are based on electron paramagnetic
resonance spectroscopy (epr/esr) and thermoluminescence (TL)
The analytical procedures used are validated and take advantage of
European Standards EN 1786, EN 1787 and EN 1788.
Laboratory is able to detect irradiation treatment in such foodstuffs
as spices, medical herbs, seasonings including mushrooms, meats and
fish containing bones, shellfish, vegetables, fruits, nuts..."

My search strategy started with terms like "irradiation testing" and
"irradiation screening".

I then found it useful to search with the code numbers for the
European standards set out here:

Information on analytical methods for the detection of irradiated
foods standardised by the European Committee for Standardisation (CEN)

The next step was to look into the laboratories mentioned in this
report of a study on thermoluminescence testing:

These are some of the labs which participated in the study:

Federal Research Centre for Nutrition and Food

Haid-und-Neu-Str. 9
76131 Karlsruhe, Germany
Tel.: + 49 (0)721 6625 0
Fax: + 49 (0)721 6625 111

Acting Head: Fritz Johannes
Location Coordinator: Prof. Dr. habil. Bernhard Tauscher
Please send any questions and requests to

Scottish Research Reactor Centre


Scottish Enterprise Technology Park
Rankine Avenue
East Kilbride
Glasgow G75 OQF
Tel. +44(0) 1355 223332
Fax. +44(0) 1355 229898


This is the right address for the laboratory, but the telephone, fax
and emails are for the whole Faculty of Science.

Faculté des Sciences et Techniques de Saint-Jérôme 
Avenue Escadrille Normandie Niemen
13397 Marseille Cedex 20
Chef de
Responsable site

Téléphone: 04-91-28-82-28
Fax:       04-91-28-80-30

Director: J. Raffi (2001)

Laboratory of Radiochemistry, Helsinki

P O BOX 55

PHONE: +358 9 19150120 (office, Tuija Suoranta)
FAX: +358 9 19150121

email addresses

JRC laboratory at Ispra

Address: Ispra Site Directorate, 
Communication Officer - An Lievens, 
Via E. Fermi 1, 
I-21020 Ispra (VA), Italy
Tel: +39 0332 786750
Fax: +39 0332 789157

I hope this will be helpful, but please don't hesitate to ask for
clarification if you have any queries.

Best Wishes - Leli
pnri-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars and gave an additional tip of: $10.00
Thanks for the great answer.

Subject: Re: Testing of irradiated spices and vegetables
From: leli-ga on 30 Sep 2004 08:28 PDT
Dear pnri

Thank you very much for the nice feedback and tip.
Glad I could help.


Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy