Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Redirecting Windows XP drive output ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   0 Comments )
Subject: Redirecting Windows XP drive output
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: suprascapular-ga
List Price: $5.00
Posted: 30 Sep 2004 19:54 PDT
Expires: 30 Oct 2004 19:54 PDT
Question ID: 408697
I have software that will back up to A or B drive. How can I get
windows xp to redirect the B drive option to a ZIP drive that is
designated drive F. it would be acceptable to permanently change the F
drive designation to B.
Subject: Re: Redirecting Windows XP drive output
Answered By: aht-ga on 30 Sep 2004 23:41 PDT
Rated:5 out of 5 stars

Assigning a drive letter is a lot easier in Windows XP than in some of
the previous versions of Windows. The following Microsoft Knowledge
Base article discusses this in detail:

KB307844 How to change drive letter assignments in Windows XP;EN-US;q307844

The short version:

Note: this assumes you do NOT have a floppy drive using drive letter
B: already. If you do, you will need to unplug it first to free up the
drive letter for reassignment.

1. Right-click on 'My Computer', and select 'Manage'
2. Select 'Disk Management' from the left-hand pane of the window that appears
3. On the right-hand pane, locate your ZIP drive (it will be one of
the removable drives, and should be currently associated with F:)
4. Right-click on the drive and select 'Change Drive Letters and Paths'
5. Click 'Change'
6. Change the drive letter from 'F:' to 'B:'
7. Click OK, click OK again, close the Management Console, you're done. 
8. Reboot, and see if your change has worked.

If you run into any problems making this change, please let me know
with the "Request Clarification" button above and I will do my best to
help you!


Google Answers Researcher
suprascapular-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars
Thanks a lot. Prompt and clear

There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy