Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Vehicle Titling / Sale ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   1 Comment )
Subject: Vehicle Titling / Sale
Category: Business and Money > Accounting
Asked by: flyhoover-ga
List Price: $20.00
Posted: 07 Oct 2004 13:20 PDT
Expires: 06 Nov 2004 12:20 PST
Question ID: 411667
Regarding the sale of an automobile(Kansas)to a buyer in Florida.  I
purchased the vehicle and have the completed Bill of Sale and
Title(signed over) from the previous owner in my possession.  I have
not yet titled the vehicle, and am interested in selling it to my
brother.  My question is, if I have not yet titled/tagged the car, do
I need to do so before the sale?
Subject: Re: Vehicle Titling / Sale
Answered By: wengland-ga on 07 Oct 2004 14:10 PDT
Rated:5 out of 5 stars

Any time the ownership changes on a vehicle in Florida, you must apply
for a registration and title in your name.

The additional slots on the back of the title are for use by
registered dealers only.

Additionally, according to a telephone conversation with Rebeccah at
the Alachua County Motor Vehicle Services in Gainesville, FL, the
vehicle must be registered in your name before you can sell it to your

Finally, since this is an out of state vehicle, you will need to have
the  VIN inspected before you can register the vehicle. This can be
done at most of the Tax Collector offices, using this PDF form:

I hope this answers your question, and I wish you luck with the paperwork.
Please, if you need further clarification, just ask before rating this answer.

Search  Strategy:

florida vehicle tag title

Additional Resources:

List of County Offices

Request for Answer Clarification by flyhoover-ga on 08 Oct 2004 08:23 PDT

Your answer did confirm the registration in florida component, but the
comment made by ipfan was more directly to the heart of my question. 
Can I AVOID titling the car in my name?  In essence, signing the
title, bill of sale, to allow my brother to title the vehicle?

Thanks for your prompt response and I look forward to your answer.

Clarification of Answer by wengland-ga on 11 Oct 2004 09:13 PDT
The law in Floirida is quite clear; the person who buys the car *and*
signs / prints their name on the title must register the car in their
name and have a new title issued, before transferring the vehicle to a
new buyer.

If the title has not been filled out with your personal information,
and if your brother fills in his information on the top section of the
title, then your brother must have been the purchaser, right?

However, if you have filled in your name, address and signature, then
the vehicle must be titled to you and a new title issued before it can
be transferred to your brother.

In the eyes of the law, the name and signature on the title are the
final purchaser of the vehicle.

So, the answer to your question depends on what is currently on the
back of the title.
flyhoover-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars and gave an additional tip of: $5.00
Thanks Wengland!  That's the info I needed, but unfortunately will
have to title in my name as I have already signed the title.  Keep up
the good work!

Subject: Re: Vehicle Titling / Sale
From: ipfan-ga on 07 Oct 2004 15:27 PDT
It seems that perhaps we should also inquire as to the requirements
under Kansas law since that (it appears) is where the sale will be
transacted.  I read this question as asking if, under Kansas law, the
seller needs to do anything before selling the car to a buyer in
Florida.  I agree that the excellent answer provides a list of things
to do once the car arrives in Florida, but I do not think our
Kansas-based seller needs to do anything, unless he plans to drive the
car in Kansas and must title/tag it there for that reason.  My thought
was that all flyhoover needs to do is sign the title over, give
his/her brother the bill of sale and then off the brother goes to
Florida, where he would then do all the stuff in wengland's answer . .

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy