Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Divorcing your parent ( No Answer,   9 Comments )
Subject: Divorcing your parent
Category: Family and Home > Families
Asked by: mizzy3-ga
List Price: $2.00
Posted: 13 Oct 2004 17:41 PDT
Expires: 12 Nov 2004 16:41 PST
Question ID: 414496
Can a child in Tennessee divorce their parents?
There is no answer at this time.

Subject: Re: Divorcing your parent
From: dreamboat-ga on 13 Oct 2004 19:01 PDT
I can't seem to find the answer to that question, but this site looks
very interesting:

And so does the chat that's available here: (given by the same
person who runs the first website). It says you can ask your questions
in advance. I think they'll find your question intriguing and
interesting and definitely worthy of the respect it and you deserve.
Subject: Re: Divorcing your parent
From: wifi_jaxwireless_com-ga on 13 Oct 2004 19:29 PDT
I think you could do this in any state.

A minor could become emancipated <sp>? 

You would have to petition the courts and they could declare you to be an adult.
This however is not an easy task. You must be able to show the
maturity to be emancipated. You have to show that you have to be able
to be able to financially take care of yourself. You will have to
stand up in court or a judges quarters in front of your parents and
explain your reasoning on why you want to have this done and that you
are capeable of taking care of yourself.

No an answer such as I will drop out of school and get a job will not fly. 

You must have all your ducks in a row and an attorney is not a bad idea.

Subject: Tennessee Emancipation (Removal of Disability)
From: cousinsteve-ga on 14 Oct 2004 13:44 PDT
Tennessee Code 

29-31-101: Power to remove. 
(a)  The chancery court of a county in which a minor resides or the
chancellor in vacation may remove the disabilities of minority; and
the chancery court of any county, or the chancellor of such court in
vacation, may remove the disabilities of minority of a nonresident
minor of the state of Tennessee who owns, or has an interest in, any
real or personal property located in the state of Tennessee, so as to
enable the minor to sell and convey such real or personal property, or
any interest therein, or to do any other act in respect thereof; all
as fully and effectively as if the minor was eighteen (18) years of
(b)  In all cases where a minor petitions for the removal of
disabilities of minority in a county other than the county in which
property is located, petition must show that no application has been
previously made in the county where the property is located.
(c)  The circuit court and the judge thereof shall have concurrent
jurisdiction with the chancery court and chancellor to remove the
disabilities of minority.
Subject: Re: Divorcing your parent
From: pinkfreud-ga on 14 Oct 2004 13:45 PDT
This answer to a similar question may be of interest:
Subject: Re: Divorcing your parent
From: mizzy3-ga on 14 Oct 2004 15:21 PDT
If the child is 13 and is being mistreated by her mother and the
grandmother wants her, how could she then divorce her mother and go
live with her grandmother who can support her and take good care of
Subject: Re: Divorcing your parent
From: pinkfreud-ga on 14 Oct 2004 15:25 PDT
In the case of a minor who is not capable of supporting herself, as
described, emancipation or "divorcing" parents is not the answer. If
the girl is being mistreated, this should be reported immediately to a
social service agency. Permanent custody issues take time to resolve,
but immediate attention will be given to a situation in which a child
is being abused.
Subject: Re: Divorcing your parent
From: pinkfreud-ga on 14 Oct 2004 15:31 PDT
In Tennessee, this is the number to call to report child abuse:

615-532-3545 (during normal business hours)
Subject: Re: Divorcing your parent
From: mizzy3-ga on 14 Oct 2004 16:48 PDT
They don't want to have to deal with the state because of
the fear of the child going to a foster home.  Can a grandmother
take the childs mother to court and try to get her that way?
Thank you for the phone number.
Subject: Re: Divorcing your parent
From: mizzy3-ga on 14 Oct 2004 19:30 PDT
When the child that is 13 says she wishes that her grandmother was her
legal guardian then do you petition the court for that?  Somebody out
there must have an answer.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy