Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Networking ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   3 Comments )
Subject: Networking
Category: Computers > Hardware
Asked by: jossychina-ga
List Price: $50.00
Posted: 14 Oct 2004 00:37 PDT
Expires: 12 Nov 2004 23:37 PST
Question ID: 414640
Please, what is the standard color coding for a  network cable (CAT5e) used for:
1. Cross-Over (Hub - Hub)
2. Short Lenght (Hub - PC)
3. Hub - Jack

Please, I will need a good answer and urgent as the case may be.
Subject: Re: Networking
Answered By: skermit-ga on 14 Oct 2004 00:55 PDT
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
In order to make a cross-over cable, you have one end with the T-568A
color standard and the other with the T-568B color standard. I've
found a page with nice diagrams, but I'll repeat it here

one end (T-568B):
W/O O W/G Bl W/Bl G W/Br Br

The other end (T-568A):
W/G G W/O Bl W/Bl O W/Br Br

2. In order to make a straight-through cable, just repeat the T-568B
standard for both ends.

both ends (T-568B):
W/O O W/G Bl W/Bl G W/Br Br

3. In order to wire a hub to a jack, wire the jack for the T-568B
standard on the jack (there are usually color codings right on the
jack) and I've found an animation which shows it very well linked

jack (T-568B):
W/O O W/G Bl W/Bl G W/Br Br

For the hub-side of the cable, if you are putting it into a connection
port, wire the hub-side of the cable with the T-568B standard, but if
you are connecting the hub-side of the cable to the uplink port of the
hub (say if you want to connect two hubs in different rooms, then use
the T-568A standard on the hub-side of the cable (to make a crossover
cable which has a female jack end on the side which isn't plugged into
the hub). Then use a straight-through cable to connect the jack to the
computer or device to the jack.

Diagrams to wire crossover and straight-through cables:

Short animation on how to wire a jack using a punchdown tool (if you
do not have one, you can use a thin flat-head screwdriver but be
careful not to bend the receptors):

Thank you for your question, and it was a pleasure to answer it for you.

jossychina-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars

Subject: Re: Networking
From: crythias-ga on 14 Oct 2004 06:12 PDT
Although, if you're asking about the sheath (outer color) of the
cable, it doesn't really matter, as anyone can make any cable
cross-over (hub-to-hub or PC-to-pc) or straight-through (PC-to-hub,
PC-to-wall, hub-to-patchpanel), as described above.

Usually, though, one uses a very different color (say, green vs blue
or yellow or red or white) to set apart such cables for ready

I might also add that, unless you're dealing with, say, high-end
products, many newer hubs have at least one uplink and/or all ports
auto-sense cross-over/straight through, which means that you're
actually less likely to need a crossover cable.

Notorious for needing crossover cables are Cisco-to-Cisco switches, as
well as connecting a Cisco router directly to a PC.

This is a free comment.
Subject: Re: Networking
From: alibi-ga on 12 Jan 2005 13:32 PST
Actually, Connecting a cisco router directly to a PC requires a
Console cable, or a rollover cable plugged into serial port on the pc.
Subject: Re: Networking
From: crythias-ga on 12 Jan 2005 14:05 PST
Really? That's the only way to do it? What am I going to do about my
ability to telnet and TFTP? OK, if *nothing* is set up, I understand
that you'll want to use a console cable. But ... after that, I'm going
to assume that I can use the full bandwidth of the LAN interface to
communicate with my router, even if it's connecting WAN to a T1. I
doubt that console cable is going to help me pipe 1.54Mbps through my
RS232 card in my PC.

A console cable is first resort (initial programming) and last resort
(recovery), but (fast)ethernet is for bandwidth.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy