Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: seperation agreement ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   0 Comments )
Subject: seperation agreement
Category: Family and Home > Relationships
Asked by: walabee2-ga
List Price: $5.00
Posted: 22 Oct 2004 08:53 PDT
Expires: 21 Nov 2004 07:53 PST
Question ID: 418548
My Husband and i seperated almost a year ago . Together we made up a
seperation agreement and took it to our lawyer . The lawyer drew it up
for us and put in there that he was repersenting my husband since he
was the one with an income . My guestion is in the agreement we both
took over our own bills anything in his name was his and mine were
mine . Well about 6 mons. after we split my ex stopped paying a bill
of his because our home is secured to the loan . I got the house till
my daughter turns 21 and then the house is to be sold and we split it
. Can i make him pay this bill i have been paying it so i don't loose
the house . He has also filled bankruptcy , chapter 13 and in his plan
it says he is going to pay this bill out side the plane along with the
mortage which the mortgage payment is his childsupport so it couldn't
be claimed on his bankruptcy . I have filled an objection to his
bankruptcy saying he has made a agreement with them and me to pay the
bill but is not and that i will take over the bill and he is to pay me
back when the home is sold of out of his pension which i gave up
rights to . The bankruptcy court agrees with me but wants to wait and
see what happenes in family court ....what do you think my chances are
to get family court to side with me and that he is responsiable for
this payment .
Subject: Re: seperation agreement
Answered By: tutuzdad-ga on 22 Oct 2004 09:24 PDT
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Dear walabee2-ga:

Thank you for allowing me an opportunity to answer your interesting
question. We cannot provide legal advice by policy but since you asked
for an OPINION I?d be happy to oblige.

I think your chances are fairly good that family court will side with
you in this financial dispute. Courts traditionally frown upon a
bread-winner or non-custodial parent who fails to meet his obligations
regardless if he has the means or not. They especially frown on one
who fails to live up to his previous agreements. When your husband
agreed to one arrangement and now reneges on it, this may in fact
nullify your separation agreement entirely. This means, in effect,
that you could theoretically go back to court and re-negotiate the
entire separation and subsequent divorce and potentially attach his
retirement pension or whatever other present of future finances he
might acquire.

You made a classic error (read: legal blunder), in my opinion, when
you sought the services of a mutual attorney to ?handle? your affairs.
SEPERATION is just that, a separation of ALL interests ? including
your legal interests. It?s not surprising that the attorney, who can
technically only represent one side of the dispute, chose to take the
side of the ?person with the income?. As such, this attorney basically
represents your husband?s legal interests only and you are essentially
without representation. Furthermore, having clearly stated that he
must officially lean toward your husband's interests, this attorney is
not legally bound to "you" in ANY WAY, nor is he obligated to release
information that he might be privy to about hour husband?s financial
affairs, strategy or intent. When you agreed to this arrangement you
basically signed surrender and now you are a person without a lawyer
who is playing the game against an opponent who HAS a lawyer.

I think ultimately that you stand a good chance of having some (if not
all) these things turn in your favor to some degree, but I strongly
recommend you obtain your own lawyer, independent of your husband?s
retained law office. He might be able to convince the family court
that you were misinformed, misled, or that you misunderstood how your
interests would be represented (i.e., not represented at all). This
could make a significant difference in how the court views the current

It sounds to me as if you are being led by the hand by this attorney
and your ex to your doom under the pretense of working the matter out
in the least conflicting way so as to cause the least amount of harm
and animosity. Don't believe it for a second.

My opinion is that you need to learn from this experience, smarten up
and go find yourself an attorney of your own so you can come back
prepared, better protected, more knowledgeable, and motivated to claim
what may be rightfully yours with a vengeance. Your ex (AND his
lawyer) will probably gasp for air when they learn that you've figured
it out, that you?re not susceptible to being burned twice, and that
you are not as naive as they probably think (or hope) you are. I would
imagine the phone call will go something like this:

Lawyer: "Bob, this is attorney Smith. I hope you're sitting down
because something has come up and we've got a serious problem here."

I hope my answer exceeds your expectations. If you have any questions
please post a clarification request prior to rating the answer.
Otherwise, I welcome your rating and your final comments and I look
forward to working with you again in the near future. Thank you for
bringing your question to us.

Best regards;
Tutuzdad ? Google Answers Researcher
walabee2-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars
it was the answer i was truly looking for . I have been on this
computer trying to find out just what does happen when you don't
follow through on your seperation agreement and you gave the answer i
was looking for ...THANK YOU

There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy