Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: dual state income tax file? ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   0 Comments )
Subject: dual state income tax file?
Category: Business and Money
Asked by: doctorchou2-ga
List Price: $2.00
Posted: 09 Jan 2006 19:48 PST
Expires: 08 Feb 2006 19:48 PST
Question ID: 431366
In 2005 I lived and worked for 6 months in California, then lived and
worked for 6 months in Arkansas.  Which state(s) do I need to file or pay
state income tax in?
Subject: Re: dual state income tax file?
Answered By: neurogeek-ga on 11 Jan 2006 14:37 PST
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Under most circumstances, you will have to file as a part-year
resident in both California and Arkansas.  Special rules apply if your
"domicile" is considered to be unchanged.  This is the case if you are
a student or in the military.  In such situations, your driver's
license, voter registration, and permanent financial records often
don't change.

Fortunately, each state will usually only tax that portion of income
which occured there.  I looked up mover's information for both
California and Arkansas.  These sites have more specific information
about the forms you will have to file.

*** In California, you will have to file a ?504 NR?.  Your exact tax
situation determines whether you can use the short or the long form.

google search: california income tax
Franchise Tax Board Home
I lived in California part of the year.  Do I have to file a return?
Which form should I file?

*** In Arkansas, you will have to file an ?AS1000NR?.  Page 11 of the
instructions, item 3, contains this rule.

google search: arkansas income tax
Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration
Instructions for Long Form (AR1000) and Non-Resident or Part-Year
Resident form (AR1000NR) (pdf ? see Page 11 item 3)
Moving to Arkansas?
On page 9 of this PDF, we read, ?To arrive at the percentage of the
total tax owed to the State of Arkansas, you must divide the income
earned in Arkansas by your total income. The Arkansas tax liability is
based on the pro-rata share of the total in-come.?
doctorchou2-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars

There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy