Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Photographic Question for AHT-GA only! ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   1 Comment )
Subject: Photographic Question for AHT-GA only!
Category: Computers > Hardware
Asked by: bellboy-ga
List Price: $2.00
Posted: 23 Nov 2004 18:54 PST
Expires: 23 Dec 2004 18:54 PST
Question ID: 433166
What is the best way to photgraph and upload pic to a website. $2.00
for an answer and a $5.00 tip for your earlier advice re the scanner.
Subject: Re: Photographic Question for AHT-GA only!
Answered By: aht-ga on 23 Nov 2004 23:01 PST
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Hi bellboy-ga:

Sorry, almost missed this question you posted. 

"Best" is always a difficult type of question to answer, since it is
always a subjective definition. So, here is what I would consider

First, I would use a digital camera that can be hooked up to, and
controlled from, a PC. The Canon Powershot S-series, for example,
features software that allows it to be controlled through its USB
connection. The shutter can be controlled from the PC, and pictures
can be instantly transferred to the PC automatically as part of the
photo-taking process, to be stored under the filename you give.

Of course, you'll need a way to mount the camera so that pictures can
always be taken from the same position, with a long-enough exposure so
that you do not need to use a flash. A great way to do this is with a
tripod that allows you to mount a camera facing downwards. One that
can do this is the Slik U212:

Here is a photo-guide where the author talks about setting up a camera
on a Slik U212 for taking close-up pictures:

Ignore the info about the special mount for the Kodak DC240 camera
(unless, of course, that is the camera you have). As long as your
camera has a standard tripod mount, you'll be fine. If you were to buy
the Slik U212, and follow the guide to move the mounting head from the
top of the tripod to the bottom, then you can set up the tripod to
have the camera pointing down at a table-top or even the floor. You
can then position an album cover underneath the camera to get the
position and height of the camera right, and mark off the position of
the album cover using masking tape. Also mark off the location of the
tripod legs in case you need to move the tripod out of the way to work
on something else, then restore the position and settings later.

As for lighting, soft lighting is best to prevent glare. Make sure the
flash is turned off on the camera, and the camera should automatically
adjust its exposure time longer. Set the resolution to the camera's
lowest resolution, move the camera position up and down so that the
album cover fills as much of the image as possible, lock everything in
place, and start taking your pictures. Naturally, this will mean that
the album cover only fills most of the frame, while there is un-needed
areas to the sides of the cover in the image. That's where you would
use something like Irfanview:

There is a batch conversion capability that includes the ability to
automatically crop a portion of an image. You can use this to process
a large number of pictures, and even to re-size them to a web-friendly
size. Then, the only step left is to post the pictures to your

This approach is easier on the wallet than acquiring a widebed
scanner. For starters, the widebed scanners available on the market
start at several thousand dollars (used), and the typical one is at
most 12 inches by 17-18 inches. It also equips you with a great tripod
that can be used for other purposes, too!

I hope that this helps you.


Google Answers Researcher
bellboy-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars and gave an additional tip of: $5.00
In a rush right now!

Subject: Re: Photographic Question for AHT-GA only!
From: crythias-ga on 24 Nov 2004 07:12 PST
hey aht-ga, don't forget the ftp program to upload. BTW... how'd you
find that stand?

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy