Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: French word for collarbones ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   0 Comments )
Subject: French word for collarbones
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: mistermiyagi-ga
List Price: $2.00
Posted: 25 Nov 2004 06:48 PST
Expires: 25 Dec 2004 06:48 PST
Question ID: 433931
What is the french word for collarbones? I don't mean the collarbones
in your body (=clavicule), but the ones that stiffen your shirt
Subject: Re: French word for collarbones
Answered By: leli-ga on 25 Nov 2004 09:26 PST
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Hello mistermiyagi

"Baleine" (whalebone) is the word you want.

Here are some "baleines" in plastic:

And some in brass:

"Baleines" explained:


Elles sont utilisées pour rigidifier les pointes de col.
Vous avez le choix entre :
* Baleines amovibles : il faut les retirer au lavage.
* Baleines incorporées : on ne peut pas les retirer au lavage et sont
un petit peu plus souples.
* Cols souples sans baleine."

You'll find more references by following this search:

baleines col OR chemise

I hope this helps, but please just ask if anything needs clarification.

Best wishes - Leli
mistermiyagi-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars
Just the word I wanted. Thanks very much.

There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy